A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

And here is the TB for the vacuum booster pump:

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And here is the TB for the vacuum booster pump:

I knew something was up when the AUDI parts department asked for a VIN number to release my replacement vacuum booster pump.

Today I downloaded TB C15-04-02 dated August 31st, 2004 titled:"Diagnosing Oil Leakage from Gaskets"

MODELS: A4, S4, A6 Allroad with 2.7L (5V) or 2.8L (5V) with automatic transmission only.

CONDITION: Misdiagnosing oil leakage from gaskets of the valve cover may cause unnecessary replacement of camshaft adjusters and/or camshaft adjuster seals.

It goes on to describe a procedure to test crankcase pressure.
It concludes: If crankcase pressure exceeds 30 mbar (0.43 psi), replace crankcase ventilation lines AND SUCTION JET PUMP!!!!!!!!!

So they know that the f..ing pump blows the valve cover gaskets (plus other gaskets in my opinion) and they are keeping us in the dark.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unnecessary??

I don't understand the use of the word "unnecessary" here. Once the seals go, they're gone. Replacing the crankcase ventilation lines and suction pump would only lessen the leakage up to that point.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:31 PM

Default .43 psi?!?!?

I wonder where they came up with that spec. I'm also wondering what the explanation for leaking tensioner gaskets on the 1.8T is. They are by far the worst offenders.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Unnecessary??

I think what they mean is that there have been unnecessary camshaft adjuster seal replacements because the leaks were missdiagnosed and were really coming from the valve cover gaskets. So they recommend pinpointing the leaks and as a starting point they recommend measuring carnkcase pressure and replacing the pump if the presuure is high and proceeding from there.
The important point is they know the pump goes bad!!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So when my car was smoking like a cheap cigar and I opened the oil cap and it sounded

like I had tapped a beer keg.... think the crankcase pressure exceeeded 30 mbar? Oh yeah, the next morning there was a pool of oil on the garage floor under the car. I'm assuming from oil being forced past the otherwise perfectly fine seals that shouldn't be replaced "unnecessarily"....

p.s. - -thanks for posting the TSB!

So why does this TSB not cover my non-Allroad A6 with the 2.7T engine?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Models covered reads A4, S4, A6, Allroad with 2.7L engine so it applies to all models with 2.7 L
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

got it - excellent news. Time to call the dealer. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If anybody needs more info about the TB e-mail me
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ygm
Old 02-17-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Anything to say about an oil pressure that would be too low ? Change that suction pump too ?

Since quite a while, on my 2.7T, my camshaft adjustement chains are making noise. Not a lot but I'm sure it's a new noise and I really don't like it. I had the two chains and tensionners changed but two days later the noise was there again. I asked my mechanic and, athought he is absolutly sure that the noise comes from the adjustement chains mechanism, he said there was nothing to do about it and that I had to live with it... I wasn't really happy with that answer so I crossed the border and got the car diagnosed by the Audi distributor in Belgium. The mechanic from Belgium heard the noise and said that it "sounds as if there is not enough oil coming to the upper part of the engine". He confirmed that my engine was not at risk and that it would probably be extremly difficult to fix. Since I told him that everything had been changed once he confirmed that he really didn't know what else to try.

I'm now reading your post and wondering if my problem could be the opposite of the one you're describing. Could mu problem be caused by a failure of the same part? In your post, I also saw that the problem only affects 2.7T with automatic gear box. Mine is manual 6spd :-( ! I also checked my engine but couldn't find anything looking like this pump you're talking about... Could it be that this gremlin pump doesn't live in a 2001 2.7T or did I just miss it?

With regard to the subject of your initial threat, do you think that there could be some relation with the problem I'm experiencing on my car?

Tks

Enricos

Quick Reply: And here is the TB for the vacuum booster pump: