A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Yet another example how I saved $230! Slow window repair...more...AW rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another example how I saved $230! Slow window repair...more...AW rocks!

First of all, Audiworld rocks! Thanks to tips and write ups I was able to repair yesterday evening the front passenger window which was going slowly up and eventually stopped.

By following the posts and FAQ's (another thanks to Stoney!) I found the solution.

Here goes:
Somehow our '00 Avant was not recalled for the replacement of the plastic window blocks which may break and cause the problem. The parts are like $15 at the dealership. Another thanks to my friend at the dealership, he had some blocks for me for free. The original blocks are blue, the replacement (recall) blocks are organge and the new ones are pink with some (useless/in the wrong place) metal reinforcements. Useless since the metal is not in the place where the blocks break. The blocks break where the steel cable "clicks" in.
It is possible to change the blocks without taking the whole windowframe off the door! I should have known earlier...One needs a very short (cut) torx with a very small ratchet, this way you can take off the screws and change the blocks. Another little hint/tip: prior to installing the new blocks create a thread into the blocks by using the original screw, way easier to put the screw in later! Another advantage: no need to adjust the whole window frame later, I had to do it because I put it in a bit too low thus having a small gap from windowframe to body/roof - readjust. My tech friend does this repair in 15 mins, tops.

So, the dealership quoted $220 plus tax for the repair, my cost was 1/2 hour work and great pride

Oh, one thing, the kids liked the door with the frame off "looks like a convertible door".... gotta love them

Any ??

Later,

Andy
Old 08-18-2004, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default what was the problem and how did the blocks fix the problem...my passenger window is very slow...

because of these???
Old 08-19-2004, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What happens is that a part of the block/guide breaks. The result is that....

the cable cannot pull the window up (if only one block is broken the other block does all the work, thus slow action due to the "uneven" pull).

I hope this will help, I'm sure this will solve your problem!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: What happens is that a part of the block/guide breaks. The result is that....

When I call the dealer and ask him about these, what should I call the part? My window is doing the same thing.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Plastic windowguide block, attaches to the cable.