A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How're your leather seats holding up? Especially dark colours.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am seeing the same wear on my black leather too

The only wear is on the left side bolster on the drivers side. I am going to get some Lexol too.

2001 A6 2.7 T 45K
Old 04-14-2004, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

50K on Black leather...of course I use Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner 3-4 times a year.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great on the A6, which is dark (onyx interior)

Lexol is your friend.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not bad, a bit of fading on the seat and bolsters, black, 54K miles.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My last Audi was 10 years old w/ 111,000 miles when sold. Light tan leather seats were...

... definitely showing some wear on the bolsters. It seems that hairline cracking of leather is inevitable. With light colors, the cracks then pick up dark dirt and become very prominent. I never tried dying, and cleaning did not help. The leather in my '00 is of an entirely different texture (more flexible) than my '91 (which had leather more like a baseball glove) and my side "bolsters" are barely there, so I expect it to fare better.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Essentially zero wear at four+ years and 64K miles

00 4.2A6Q, melange/melange.

I'm continually amazed at how new the car continues to look.

Only problem(s) seem to be with the dealer/service occasionally getting some dirt on the seat. I think if it's cleaned up immediately (and don't bother to get the dealer to do it because they'll just screw it up unless you can extort them into detailing the interior of your car and they'd have to really BO it it up ala Seinfeld episode 37 before they'd detail it!).
Old 04-14-2004, 07:42 AM

Default I have tried several Conditioners , but they didnt work for me... one of the main reasons ..

for me to buy a new A6
Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Just to note. It's drum dyed with organic based, not metallic salts based dyes.

In fact they use an extract of rhurbarb. Reduces off-gassing (that grey film inside the windows) too. The leather remains partially open pored, rather than laquered and sealed like many other car leathers.

The black or maroon interiors (ambition) until recently were steer hide. The melange and ivory interiors (ambiente) are calf skin. The dark grey or green interiors (advance) are water buffalo.

Hide Food a couple of times a year seems like an obvious choice to keep it from cracking. Make sure to use a finish product with some UV protection.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the replies, all -- summary...

I think it's safe to say that:

-- Some surface scuffing, dulling or evidence of wear is inevitable with a dyed, natural material -- tanning process notwithstanding.

-- Cracking, however, could be prevented or minimized with proper cleaning and conditioning. I still think Lexol is a great all around choice given ease of use, availability and cost. Makes sense to clean first then condition rather than all in one. There are other good conditioners, including Connelly Hide Food.

-- Sport seats certainly get more rubbage due to the higher bolsters.

-- I'm sure that everyone has different levels of what "pristine" or acceptable wear is. It's apparent, though, that complaints about Audi's leather wear rates are fairly common. How they compare to other mfgs, I'm not sure. But check out the TT and B5 S4 forums. The '00 and '01 TTs especially had a lot of people complaining.

-- Not sure how much the leather translates from model to model (again, check out the TT forum), but there is no doubt that the hides were different from '00/'01 to '02. Seat wear is expressly not warrantied, but I'm not sure I'd want an OEM replacement cover even if it was available. I wouldn't want to risk a non-match and poor refitment. One TT guy got a cover warrantied, and the shades and maybe texture were different (twice!), even thought they had the same part number. AoA refused to replace the passenger seat also. Lesson: you might need both front seats at least.

-- I might try IronMike's tech procedure linked below. I found the exact dye he refers to, and the mfg. claims it's self penetrating and won't rub off. One distributor said it might rub off without "sealer" but I'm not up for closing off the pores. Obviously will try in an inconspicuous place first. I'll report back afterwards. For colour matching, the mfg. also sells a solvent or thinner to lighten it up -- although mixing it with conditioner will obviously do that anyway.

The wear on my seat is really very minor, but I'm a bit **** about it and it's the only blemish in an otherwise perfect interior. I just like to be prepared.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int19.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int19.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-14-2004, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine are fine - Ebony ('premium' upgrade that comes with the 4.2 engine)

almost 40K with no significant marks. Bought some 1Z leather cleaner/protectant - plan to do it this weekend along with a exterior wash, clean, and wax with P21S.

Quick Reply: How're your leather seats holding up? Especially dark colours.