A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Annoying Rattle Headliner Passenger Roof...need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Rattle Headliner Passenger Roof...need advice!

Hey guys,

I have a really annoying rattle/squeek coming from the headliner area (near sun visor) of the passenger side interior roof.

Audi assurance won't cover it. But to me it's beyond a std. minor rattle. It pretty much is rattling the whole time when driving + when you put pressure with palm of your hand on headliner you can really here it too. But the driver side does NOT have this problem.

Steven's Creek (San Jose) wants to charge $750 to "attempt" to fix with no guarantees.

Anyone else with a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Otherwise the car is great. But this drives me nuts!!!

Clint

2001 A6 2.7T
Old 01-13-2004, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Annoying Rattle Headliner Passenger Roof...need advice!

That;s between 6-7 hours of labor. Sounds way off. Are you still under warranty? If not,have you ever tried DM Motors (Dieter) in Palo Alto?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This was a fairly common problem on earlier production A6.

Here are some quotes from old posts I found in a search (hint, hint

"it wasn't the visor, but the vanity light fixture behind it.
I removed the light (carefully insert a screwdriver in the middle of the left edge of the lens, then push in and pry the light out),and found that the clip rattles in the plastic retainer that holds it in place. I very scientifically wedged a tiny piece of thin cardboard between the clip and the retainer with a very small screwdriver, and the rattle went away!"

"My 00 2.7T had the same problem. Go to Home Depot and get some 1/2 inch diameter tubular weatherstripping, and stuff in one foot sections on both sides, between the headliner and the windshield....You want to stuff it in the gap where the windshield and headliner meet. The gap is about 3/8" so 1/2" weatherstripping compresses just right."

"I had the same problem on my 4.2. It turned out to be the screw and cover plug that mounts the driver side visor to the headliner. Once I tighten the visor mounting screw and pressed in the plastic screw cover....the high pitched vibration was gone."
Old 01-13-2004, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi was more helpful working on mine under warranty. But, some of the noises....

... which sounded to me like they came from the headliner were indeed coming from the rubber around the doors and the sunroof.

Try this: roll down your sunroof, and/or open your doors, then drive over a surface slowly that is known to trigger the noise. If it goes away, all you need to do is treat the rubber. I use Aerospace 303 protectant, because many other silicones and such can damage rubber.

See: <A HREF="http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html">A6 FAQ</A>, noises section.