A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just want to get your juices going in the AM...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just want to get your juices going in the AM...

My brief retorts from my mtg with indy Top Tech:
1. All BPVs are **** incl 710N, check/replace every 12 mos:
2. Exhaust mods are BS, the stock cats are an "eng marvel" in terms of flow and all the other things they do. The mufflers "are not" restictive or worth replacing as per a recent AW Post. Still open to debate I guess? Certainly not worth a $500 to $1000+ expenditure for me.
3. Per his discussions with Audi engineers (not AOA or Regional personnel), KO3s are already operating at the limits. N75 tweaks and chips will "definitely, not maybe" shorten turbo life. Forgot to ask about TIP/310lbs etc.
4. Brembo is a great aftermkt product. However, the brake warping prob is due to vibration in the front suspension components. The common left-rear problems are still a mystery.
I love this Forum!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 4:30 am.Sorry sir, but this indy Top Tech has no clue. Firstly ,big difference between.............

high flow cats, gutted cats(piggie pipes) and no cats.Cats with otm exhaust,piggie pipes with otm exhaust and straight pipes with otm stainless exhaust on any motor more so on a turbo.You even said that ko3`s are operating at thier limits so if you add an extra 60 hp you most likely will shorten turbo life with agressive driving.All bpv`s are`nt $hit, I have valves with changeable components. My rotors were replaced once on my 2.7 and Ive never felt a vibration before rotors were warped.The problem with the rotor was material based.When its really hot and runs through water,even washing car after couple braking, this warps rotors.No hard feelings but stay away from that indy tech.I wonder what team he is a tech for.Btw this was a good wake up post,it got my eyes wide open. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 AM

Makes sense to me........particularly the 'chip' part..
Old 01-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Re: Just want to get your juices going in the AM...

#3 the K03's are not at their limit. I remember seeing that they are at their limits around 1.3 bar max.
Stock your running ~.7bar. Its when you start to chip with a 1 bar chip or 1.2bar chip that you are now reaching the limit of the K03. And with spikes routinely reaching 1.35 on a 1bar chip you are running into trouble.
And a chip will shorten the lifespan, well yes it does, I dont know who would think otherwise. Even with a stock chip a turbo has a set lifespan( it will not last forever), anything to increase wear,heat, boost will shorten the life, how much is anyones guess.
Heck, with a stock chip you can overspeed the turbo with just a TBB failure.

On a side note, I wonder how much impact the dust shield has on the rotors, would it just keep heat in?? Is it better to remove it to allow for better cooling?

The BPV's, I have tried the forge and 710N's. THe Forge leaked twice, and so far the 710N's have been very nice. But they will eventually go bad.
The stock BPV's were not a good match for our car. what were they 710a's or something like that.
I am surprised he didnt talk about the POS TBB !!! SHould have had a concept like the bi-pipe to eliminate the problem. Maybe it would have cost more up front, but saved them more down the road in repairs.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Asked Audi, Tech agrees with all but exhaust. He says exhaust upgrade would give 5-15 "free" HP.

Exhaust could up HP as much as 15hp, and improve mileage a little, BUT upgrade won't shorten Turbo life, like a chip,,, he also said the lifespan of the MY2000 turbo's on the 2.7's are already short enough.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

#2 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I agree with everything else.

-st
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: Just want to get your juices going in the AM...

1) I will agree that the old BPV was ****. Disagree on the 710N.

2) If he's saying that the stock exhust system is less restrictive than most, I will agree. With that said I know the turbo's spool faster and my guess is you'l see a 5 to 10hp increase. Also, you are losing almost 40 pounds and that I know for sure. Wheather that is worth the price is subjective; but, lots more has been paid to lose less.

3)If you know anything about manufacturing and design you know he's full of it on this one. NO WAY, will a competent manufacturer put anything at the limit. I can confortably agree with Ming without even seeing the graphs. Will a chip shorten the life? Of course it will, that's the only thing he said I agree with.

4)Where did you find this guy? ;-(
Old 01-08-2004, 09:09 AM

Default What absolute BS except #1....

1- Yea, all "factory type" BPVs will slowly get lazy. I replaced my OE with 710N and noticed a difference. Be curious if in another 20k miles that replacing them again makes a difference.

2- I can't imagine any turbo car that doesn't respond to a freer flowing exhaust.

3- K03 discussion with "engineers"...what he speaks German? I have a friend who makes his living modifying turbos and Porsches who feels that the K03 is very understressed in our OE application. This from a guy who used to build and rebuild turbines for military aircraft.

4- How in the Hell can anyone suggest that brake vibration is the result of suspension design! And if that is the case, why does replacing the rotors fix the problem (for a while).

If this is the best that Indy has to offer (and I assume Tom Wood) than come on up to Chicago for service. In his defense, I suspect that the reality is that he is just reciting the Audi party line.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Wow! The juices sure did flow. I'm not technical but will offer the following...

1. I don't think it w/b unusual for a top tech to have contact with English speaking engineers. May have even gone back there for training. A number of my former BMW techs did just that.
2. My take is that the brake warpage thing c/b a gradual process, i.e., not constant vibration felt in the wheels. Could be along the lines of the inherent "resonance" thing Gary@Ronal talks about when selecting the proper tire for the heavy A6. We all know the front suspension is problematic.
3. As regards design limits, its obvious that Audi has had to go back to the drawing board many times in the 4 yrs I've been reading AW. Even if it was appropriate, a recall to retrofit with KO4s is not the same as a recall for a fuel sender unit.
Finally, I'd hate to have coverage on blown turbos or a tranny denied due the significant increase in power attributable to removing the resonator or changing the mufflers. Who was that great philosopher that said "stay stock and worry free"?
Old 01-08-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ya not a good read..

#1 sure, but my 710N's have been good for 2 years, I also have a 100 mile on the clock pair of Second Gen servicable Bailey BPV's.

#2 picked up almost 20hp switching my exhaust on my allroad 2.7t (dyno proven)

#3 There are a LOT of stock cars that have had defective K03's. When a single blade comes off that is a manufacturing defect. Nothing about the car caused that. even Borg Warner stated that had QA issues with the K03 turbos.

#4 the weight of these cars don't help either.

Quick Reply: Just want to get your juices going in the AM...