A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What's difference between S6 and A6 4.2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not trying to dissuade...

Just enhancing the new user experience. The search function is a tricky beast to master.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's ok man

I've asked a ton of dumb questions on this forum that I know has been asked in the past. However, some of the search results provide answers for models that are 2-3 years older than my car. And I know that some of those answers don't apply to the newer models. That's why I sometimes will re-ask a question.
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enhancing the AW experience????? - I doubt it

That's harsh...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:37 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build differences or performance?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also engine internals and gearing.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You WERE a newbie too...

Be nice to the newbies. I think it is OK to remind them to search but it is important not scare them off.

We were all newbies at one time and now look what a great contributor you have become.

Chris
Old 12-12-2003, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quite a significant amount actually.....

first off, the engines are similar but different, the S6 has a dual stage intake, whereas the A64.2 has a 3 stage intake, S6 is better in this area. S6 Airbox also has a flap which pulls open at higher rpms to allow increased air flow into the box - however this has not been validated (via VAGCOM)to actually increase airflow through the filter media. There's also different cams, intake/exhaust valving. Software is also different, however, both cars improve with the GIAC chipsets (ECU and TCU, which levels the playing field as far as software tuning goes between the cars.)

Transmission - is the same in both cars, however, the gearing is different and this also relates to the tranny. the S6 front and rear diffs are of the 3.51? I think ratio, and concurrently the transmission is mated to the ratios. Better gears for acceleration in the S6. The A64.2 has something like 2.71's (real hwy gearing). Vey expensive to replicate.

Steering - the S6 has a quicker steering ratio then the A64.2, making it seem like its more response and it is. I haven't researched how much it would cost to swap in S6 steering components, but I am sure this too would be cost prohibitive.

Suspension - the S6 has stiffer and lower springs and shocks which are mated to these lower springs. I believe the rollbars are the same diameter for both cars. Cheap to beat, coilovers or any good spring kit with good shox and hotchkis sway bars would better the S6 suspension setup. I'm working on this now.

Brakes - I believe the brakes are the same, the HP2 calipers which are also shared by the S4 (pre '04). Both cars could stand to gain from aftermarket rotors and pads, or if you really feel like throwing down the big bucks go with a bigbrake kit from Stoptech or Brembo.

Exhaust - S6 exhaust is 18% freer flowing than the A64.2, which actually has pitifully small exhaust piping. It's not just a matter of doing a catback exhaust as the S6 cats are also freer flowing then the A64.2's. Catback is easily accomplished, but again, I have not researched how much it would cost to swap the S6 downpipes/cats into an A64.2, however, for the money, gain would be minimal from this effort.

Interior - well what can you say, the S6 has the alcantara package which also provides you with a full alcantara suade headliner and door inserts - SWEET!!! It also has the gray birch wood - sweet.

Exterior - S6 has the S-car polished aluminum mirrors.

All in all, it really is a different car just built on the same platform. Us 4.2 guys can come close, but we can never really replicate all the vast differences between the two cars.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good writeup. This should be in Stoney's FAQ.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:56 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disagree. My times are equal to an S6 Avant in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Aftermarket suspension tuning

particularly with Eibach Springs, Bilstein Shocks, and H Sport bars exceed the stock S6 Avant capabilities. Adding free flow mufflers to the stock exhaust system greatly improve HP and throttle response. All times were qualified on G Tech vs. published American Car Mag times. All the technical differences are correct, however, the aftermarket can easily make up for any real world performance differences between a modified 4.2 and stock S6 Avant. Warm fuzzies for the S6 crew is great, but reality is more important. Isn't your car doing times better than recorded S6 Avant times? IF so, be proud and don't be intimidated by the truth because someone has to feel good about spending thousands more. <ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/model/historical/00/a6.shtml">2.7T/4.2 specs</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: What's difference between S6 and A6 4.2 ?