A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Get your tip filter service!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Great price, don't know how they could do it for that
Old 12-12-2003, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had this done YESTERDAY!

I was coming in to write about the smoother shifting between 1-2 and 2-3 and damn if you hadn't beat me to it!

I have the paperwork right here. I had the tranny service completed along with a Mobil 1 oil change (little worried about that because it had been dino up until now!) at Shine Racing Service in Walpole, MA.

Transmission Labor $140, transmission gasket $23, transmission filter $51, ATF (VAG OEM) $73, Mobil 1 oil change $65.

Add in the ride home service and the pick me up and drive me back service and damn I feel good about it.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 AM

Default Hey! Im in Holland also.........

What are you driveing? I have the silver 01 2.7t w/ 19" BBS on it. Hope I see you around.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:53 AM

UPDATE! Called my wife to verify as she picked it up. It was $250. Sorry. Still!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Still very reasonable price - cheap insurance!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No, just to check fluid temperature

Hi PaulW, I'm kind of new to the "mechanical" realm of things when it comes to cars. I would like to change my Tiptronic tranny fluid as I am currently at 31K miles. However, after reading several postings on how to do so, I am a little confused with the process.

I am willing to purchase all of the necessary parts and change the fluid myself. However, I get confused when people tell me I need the VAG-COM to do an auto tranny fluid change. I don't have the VAG-COM tool nor do I think I will be purchasing one in the future.

Does this mean I should probably just have the dealership do the auto tranny fluid change since they have the necessary VAG-COM tool?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the procedure

It's the same for the A6, get 8 quarts of fluid, return what you don't use or better yet, just get them from Wendy, much cheaper. You won't have the interference problem on the two pan screws either on the A6.

You don't need VAG-COM, but for $200 from ross-tech.com for the cable and software....you can't go without it. It's the best tool you'll ever get, plus you need to get the Bently manual, about another $70. Very cheap that will pay for themselves in minutes....<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default so what is the VAG-COM used for when doing an

auto tranny fluid change? And if I don't use it, will I somehow set up some type of harm on my car (the tranny) in the future?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: so what is the VAG-COM used for when doing an

It's just to check the tranny fluid temperature, you have to read the procedure. You don't need it to change the fluid/filter, the procedure tells you what to do if you don't have it. Just read the whole thing so you get comfortable with what you are doing. It's really nothing more than mechanical monkey work.

VAG-COM stands for Volkswagon auto group communicator. Buy it from <a href="http://www.ross-tech.com">ross-tech.com</a> for about $200 for software and cable. You can do a ton of stuff on your car with it, but you need the Bently manual too, they also sell that cheap.

pw
Old 12-12-2003, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default awesome thanks... oh yeah and last question I promise:

you said "You don't need it to change the fluid/filter, the procedure tells you what to do if you don't have it. Just read the whole thing so you get comfortable with what you are doing."

Do you have this procedure or is it located at the AoA website?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Get your tip filter service!