A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ok guys n gals, get out those books... dealer says "I have major oil leak"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok guys n gals, get out those books... dealer says "I have major oil leak"

Found while doing an oil change. Last oil change they said that the oil pan may be leaking at the gasket. While some hear have thought that there is no gasket, that is only partially true. I have found that there is silicon sealant between the block and the Upper oil pan, but there is a gasket between the lower oil pan and the upper oil pan.
Anybody know of common leak areas that would be classified as major? I have already had the Cam seals done (last year) but still don't think that would be considered major. Should I replace the gasket and see what happens, or should I let the dealer try to find the leak (estimated 3hrs labor!)
Old 12-03-2003, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most common leak is the 2.8L engine.......

....:-)

Okay, really. There's too many to list. You'll have to dig in and see where it's coming from. Oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets are the usual suspects.

Other possibilties (since you already did the cam seals) are the cam adjuster seals and the crank seals. You can also get leaking around the cam position sensors.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So is it worth it to just do the lower gasket and see what happens?
Old 12-03-2003, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you want. I've already had to replace mine.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To be honest brian, I have had all the cam/seal parts replaced on my engine - and guess what?

It still leaks like a ****. I have come to the conclusion that the 2.8L engine has a design flaw in it, and that the engine leaks oil no matter what one tries or does.

Here's the list off the top of my head I've done:
Valve seals
cam positioners
cam adjusters
cam sensors

I had the car in the shop every Saturday for a month trying to get this resolved with my dealer - to no avail. Every mechanic & owner that I've talked to with a 2.8L (or that knows Audi) says they have the same problem.

Before I moved from the Northeast, I was going to go and see a guy that works on VW that supposedly had a "fix." I'm not sure what the procedure was, but it cost about $1500. I decided not to go to this guy when my dealer showed me the bottom (plastic skid plate) of a customer's car who had the procedure done...imho it did nothing, oil just sitting there.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The leaks can be fixed......

I went through the same thing for two years. Then finally they were able to get the leak stopped. I know Dan L on the forum reports he hasn't had any oil leakage problems at all.....not the norm.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Tis true, just turned 99k and the only thing I know of having been replaced is the lower pan

That was because I cracked it. There was no gasket, just a bead of silicone. Unless the PO got the seals fixed before I got it (not in the Audi database) they are still original.

Knocking on wood

Dan
Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, it seems that the lower gasket is not to hard to replace...

so I think I might as well try it, but the upper may be another story. Ever done that one to know how much trouble it is to get to?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's no wonder, considering how clean you keep your car.

Start with the gasket, then go from there.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought the dirt would help keep the oil in ! : )

Quick Reply: ok guys n gals, get out those books... dealer says "I have major oil leak"