A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Survey: How many have repainted bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been holding off but lately the scratches/nicks/chips on both front and especially -->

rear bumpers have been bothering me. My car is almost 4 years old and the bumpers are the only part of the finish that bother me. Color is Racing Green. I reall y wish I had been aware of the clear bra stuff when I purchased the car, at least for the bumpers - especially the top of the rear bumper.

JB
Old 11-24-2003, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What he say's is exactly true. The paint will peel right off in less than a year's time.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I touch up, then buff, polish & wax,,, I just want to keep out corosion

I am not too hung up on pristine, but I won't leave scratches or rock dings. Once corosion starts.....

The touch up paint seems to blend in pretty well. I wouldn't call it show car quality at all,,, the dings & scratches are noticable if you get right up close, real close in good light,,, but it sure isn't going to start rusting, and it looks great from inside the car!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Great question. I have a maroon 99 Avant with a totally noticable

slash down the middle of my rear bumper. Wife put the garage door down on it just close enough to scratch a 4" slice. Shows white and really annoys me. Is it possible to touch up?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had my A4 rear bumper repaired/repainted ...

(Cactus Green metallic) and it was perfect and stayed that way for the three years until I sold it (and prolly still is). This was after being shunted by a semi!

Body shop did a great job. YMMV.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:33 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default My 99 had very soft bumper paint - looked awful after a year.

Had it repainted twice. BTW Wombat, it's not maroon - it's Andorra Red and it's my favorite color.

Scratches are tough to touchup, but chips are not too difficult.

Like Stoney says, get a clearbra. Or Zepel like I did on my '02 - my first mod on it.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Bumper painting pro Carbon here....(long)

twice in the front, three times in the rear on the former 98 2.8 in (aluminum silver). Used the same shop with exception of once, a friend's shop guy on spot, poor job.

Word to the wise, let a body shop do it right, not some, we'll come and see you fella.

Had the front & rear done the first summer after I purchased in the winter (Chicago, no garrage). I used to be really **** about it, hence 5 spray job's in a year and a half but not all were my fault and two were paid out by the fault of Valet (fist & last time, I know) and another from a claim where damage did not occur but because of my patronage to the body shop I use, they threw it into the driver at faults claim successfully.

If they use paint provided from Audi (paint code in door jam) then you have nothing to worry about. Perfect, no one can tell finish that lasts and looks great in direct or indirect (florecent) lighting conditions. Its the spray job guy that uses their own mix (whatever that is) granted, yes, you save about $150-$250 on the job but you get what you pay for and if it does not have fish scale effect in sun, it doesent match, last, might crack and looks like.....well, lets just say it looks like ****.

Body shop will do a clear coat, one time guy generally does not. I pay about $300 to have the rear done, solo guy charges $100. Second time at the body shop I received a discount, third time was not my fault, fourth was comped with number 5.

I am not as **** about the 4.2 because now the body shop will do it for really cheap for me (since I refer them a ton of business). When I have it done on the rear and front this spring (after winter) since it needs it from rock chips to bad parkers, I will definetly have the clear guard from 3M done by the person who did my tint. They quoted similar to having the bumpers painted but I imagine it will last better and hold up better then just painting them over and over.

Hope this is of use.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the feedback, all!

I realize that as enthusiasts, we're probably more picky than most. I originally wanted a dark colour, now I'm glad I ended up with a light one.

The clear bra thing seemed too much like the old plastic carpet runner things, and I didn't want to be "one of those guys" (iron covers on my golf clubs, case for my cell phone, etc.). I know, I know, who cares what other people think, yada yada. I also didn't think a couple of nicks would bug me this much.

Do the clear bra installers remove the lenses, headlights, grilles, etc. to ensure no visible seams on the bumper, or do they cut around them?

Much thanks!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Neither, they custom order the pieces from 3M.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks as always, cL...

Can always count on you for a detailed answer. I thought you had mentioned getting it done before. See my follow up above... the nicks really are tiny, but they bug the crap out of me. And I hate that they do.

I suppose covering up a couple of nicks (thus ensuring they're permanatly sealed underneath) isn't so bad.

Hope all's well, man -- condo, ride, etc. I got no immediate plans to come back out there -- maybe in the spring.

Quick Reply: Survey: How many have repainted bumpers?