A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Survey: How many have repainted bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Survey: How many have repainted bumpers?

Got my first couple of noticable pebble nicks this weekend. They're tiny, but glaringly obvious to ME. What can be typically be sanded or buffed out?

What's your tolerance level for bumper rash? (Parking scars, rock chips, etc...) Healthy "oh well" attitude when it happens or does it keep you awake at night?

How much can you tolerate before you have to do something about it? Major carnage, a few nicks, or gotta keep it pristine?

What was the original colour and how did it match up? Did it last or did it start to chip off later?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a clear bra before its too late. Two years of chips is waaay too much!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually got a new bumper on my (previous) 2000 A6.

I made the mistake of not having any type of Clear *.* protection put on the front bumper (or any other surfaces, for that matter) when the car was new. As a result, it began picking up tiny stone chips almost from day one. About two years into owning the car, I had a new bumper put on. I immediately had Clear Bra installed and never looked back. I kept the car for nearly a year after that and the bumper didn't develop so much as a mark. BTW, the car was Racing Green Pearl Effect; the paint job on the new bumper was perfect.

As a result of my intolerance of stone chips and good success with the Clear Bra, when I ended up buying the new 4.2 in June I decided to have the entire Clear Armor package (F+R bumpers, leading edge of hood, outside mirrors, front fender flares, etc.) installed before I even picked up the car from the dealer. The results have been great; it's now a no-brainer - I'll never buy another new car without doing the same thing.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: I actually got a new bumper on my (previous) 2000 A6.

can you give me the website or phone number to that company who makes the clear bra?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Been avoiding it, but starting to give in... NorCal?

Any specific NorCal recommendations for installers and brand/product? (email if you prefer)

When I first heard of clear bras, I didn't think much of the idea. Seemed like overkill, would be too obvious, ugly line, etc.

But hard to ignore all the positive comments. Would probably still only go for the bumpers, because they could be completely encased with no seam. Glad I have a light colour.

Is it too late with a couple of nicks? Wonder if a body shop could buff or wet sand them out first.

Much appreciated...

im_cecil AT yahoo
Old 11-23-2003, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Info

Yup - NorCal. I had mine done by Clear Armor (out of Mountain View). They came to the dealer (Rector in Burlingame) and did the job in their service bay. Very professional, high-quality work. Take a look at their web site; it includes contact info.<ul><li><a href="http://www.cleararmorinc.com/home/index.html">Link to Clear Armor</a></li></ul>
Old 11-23-2003, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

(See above reply.)
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Mike! Still hoping for input from people going "au naturel"...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Info

What does this cost if I may ask.
floyd
Old 11-24-2003, 03:35 AM

Default Many here will argue this point, but I ve seen it too often,

Most body shops will not prep a bumper properly, that means taking it off the car and sanding through most of the old finish before applying the new one. It s just too time consuming. If this step isnt taken, stone chips will come back with the utmost revenge as the adhesion from new finish to factory finish isnt nearly as strong as OEM adhesion.
Some even buy a new bumper cover to guarantee lasting quality.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: Survey: How many have repainted bumpers?