A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tiptronic & Engine Control failure...Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic & Engine Control failure...Update

All,

A few weeks back I posted an issue I was having with my 1999 A6 Quattro 2.8. Issue I mentioned had to do with a failure with control engine system whereby car will stay in limp mode all the time. The control engine fuse will blow and Tiptronic would not work. Back then I mentioned that in looking for solving this problem I had taken car to Stevens Creek Audi dealership in San Jose, CA. I feel I need to be specific on dealership because after working on the car twice and charging me $600.00 for a switch replacement problem stayed unresolved. The third time all I heard from this place was that they were not capable in fixing issue and that I was better off seeking for expert help somewhere else...Believe or not that is what I was literally told at Audi dealership in San Jose, CA... Afraid that my situation had not apparent solution (being rejected by a dealership is really bad news) I did some search on the web and came across a place called DM Motors in Palo Alto, California (650) 329-9016. Here I made arrangements with store owner who accepted to take a look at car. The person who owns the store is Mr. Dieter Mees. He is both a genious and a very decent person. Here is briefly Mr Dieter's findings:
Fuse (# 31 I believe) that controls engine system kept blowing off due to a high current (15 AMPs above normal current) specially during stop. Computer indicated 7 error codes and locating the exact cause was not easy as it seammed that 7 different things were acting simultaneously bad. After some study of situation and conducting different trial and error steps Mr. Dieter came into checking the wiring system of car. Here he found that switch that controls sliding roof had both wires (isolators) damaged. For some reason these two wires would make contact and on and off would cause a short circuit that messed up computer system. I know this sounds somehow interesting adding the claims of some people that Audi's wiring is to be kept in mind as many failures happen here. Anyways, now I am back on the road and being able to enjoy a nice ride. One thing I dont want to forget is to appreciate the effort Mr. Dieter put on fixing this problem and very specially his kind consideration on the charges...I know he put more time that what he charged me. Overall his charges are very, very reasonable.

Cheers,

Aldo
Old 09-06-2003, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comes down to having smart and willing people rather than a dumb computer :-)
Old 09-06-2003, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, I may try them for a mysterious hesitation in our out-of-warranty A4.

The same dealership spent about $500 of our money, but no results.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think you should report this to AoA, it may not do any good, but they should know about the dealer
Old 09-07-2003, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Just goes to show you - you needed an expereienced electrial troubleshooter - not a monkey