A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy...

I am polling to see if anybody has hear of the Extended Warranty offered to me by the dealer. It is called "Xtra Care"...offered by a company called, "First Automotive Service Corporation" out of Albuquerque, NM. Dealer is offering for $1344 for 3 years/til 100,000 miles. My car is 2000, with 49,000...so it is like a 3/50 plan. It us "full" coverage (no wear and tear items).
Old 08-27-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy...

This is a good policy for them. Car companies make very good money on insurance...they do not sell cost effective insurance.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy...

What do you mean by, "This is a good policy for them."? Do you mean, it is a sound investment for ME to make? Or, they are making money, because I probably won't have to use it?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:53 AM

Default gary, is it replacement for "assured" warranty?...

...by "dealer" do you mean audi or aftermarket dealer. that price sounds good (IMHO) if it includes cam seals/suspension stuff (a arms. or are those "wear items". read it to us.... does the first part include seals or "seals only covered if replacing the part that is being sealed". (can you tell i am struggling with this right now too!)

joe
Old 08-27-2003, 06:32 AM

Default Re: gary, is it replacement for "assured" warranty?...

It is a "Pre-Owned" Vehicle Coverage (I actually have to talk to the dealer again. When I say "dealer"...it is an aftermarket "Factory Direct" dealer. Meaning, they go and pick up Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, etc... that have just come off lease at auctions...re-sell them.

As for your other question, They list over 750 components. For each area, they have a Description. I don't have all day to type, but here is an example:

Front & Rear Suspension: Upper & lower control arms, shafts and bushings; Upper & lower ball joints; stabilizer shaft linkage and bushings; king pins and bushings; spindles and spindle supports; McPherson struts; shackle & eye bushings; springs; torsion bars and bushings; wheel bearings and seals; automatic leveling unit compressor, sensor and limiter valve. Seals and Gaskets
Old 08-27-2003, 06:41 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default You want an exclusion warranty as opposed to inclusion

That type of warranty details items that are not covered (should be very short list).

The warranty you are describing seems to an inclusion warranty that lists covered items. Anything that isn't specifically mentioned won't be covered. For example, if it lists "water pump", does that include secondary water pumps as well?

Inclusion warranties are usually not a good deal for the consumer
Old 08-27-2003, 07:02 AM

Default Thanks Gary, one more thing....

...mind faxing it to me? 2169916199

if so thanks! if headache that's ok too!

joe
Old 08-27-2003, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Very important to get an exclusion type. (m)

You will be left holding a large repair bill with the inclusion type. Make sure they cover the wear and tear items too.
REV
Old 08-27-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Check with your Audi dealer. Audi is slowly releasing a new product..

I think it is called "Platinum Protection". My rep told me that it is wholely owned by Audi (VAG) and therefore not likely to go belly up like the aftermarket "insurance policies" which is what all of these really are
Old 08-27-2003, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Thanks Gary, one more thing....

I will do that. First though, I want to talk to the dealer again (he is off today). On the brochure he circled something labeled "New Vehicle Coverage"...however, I think that was an accident. There is actually a "Pre Owned Vehicle Coverage". I will fax it to you anyway, and get verification that he actually meant to circle "Pre Owned Vehicle Coverage".

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy...