A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Finally did the Clear Corner Mod (Longish)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally did the Clear Corner Mod (Longish)

Before I post I'll state, no pics till tomorrow sorry.

Had the day off today and woke up with the Clear Corner Mod on my mind. Decided to take another look under the hood.

1998.5 A6 Non-Xenon Halogen.

Three bolts hold the headlamps on, you need a Torx 30 and a long one to get at the bolts. One of my headlamps was already missing the long bolt, so I grabed my short Torx 30 and poped the top two bolts. Wiggle jiggle, Pop! and yes, I DID NOT HAVE TO REMOVE MY BUMPER. Went to the body shop up the street that did my repairs, they had a long Torx extension and removed the other bolt for me.

Now, that was the easy part. I drilled the holes and choped away at the amber lense, had a few small scratches, no big deal, no problem. The other headlight was more secure, so I did it the hard way and without a heat gun, seperated the lense front from the headlamp assembly bremoving the clips and all, same as how Wet Works does it. Yeah, it was hard, it was more like super two way tape adhesive then silicone. I resealed that headlight with silicone and it dried in about an hour. So I feel good in knowing I can do it both ways.

I used Aluminum color spraypaint and did the turn/parking bulbs to perfection. Bolted the top two bolts on reassembly and did not bother with the long bolt.

If you have halogens, you do not need to remove the bumper. I was worried the entire time during this mod, but sat back, drank a beer and did everything slowly.

The result is almost perfect, aside of the little holes which are barely noticable, it looks fantastic and I'm more happy I did it, then the looks.

Though the looks are tops, pics tomorrow or the next few days. I left my memory stick at the office.

I wouldnt recommend the mod for everyone but if you are a hands on person and like to mess with things, this mod is for you.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so you feel good knowing you can do iTT boTTh ways huh? :)

just kidding C/L (please dont attack my paypal account)

Actually I removed my lenses w/o any drilling or removing the bumper...but when i did the mod on a new A4 I had to drill, its a little messier but the outcome is the same.

do you think the headlights will be secure with only 2 bolts? (i had 4 that held mine on) Dont you think they may rattle a bit while driving?

p.s. its about time you did this mod!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Had mine done by my local shop last week.

They charged 1 hr labor and left a couple of very small scratches. Looks great!
Old 08-22-2003, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man, I bet it looks great on your car.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Heh...

...No worries, I quit usig' paypal a long time ago (good memory).

The two bolts are on top and they are fine, theres enough rubber around the lamps and the bolts are secure with loc-tite. I did 100mph on the drive to test and rolled over the usual Chicago construction without rattle. The shop that took the long one out offered to put it back, with another for the missing but it's fine and easier if I ever happen along a set of Xenons.

Now I just need to lower it.....
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice - I thought you were going to get a 4.2 the other night?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I thought I was too...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/287584.phtml">The Force Was Not With Me </a></li></ul>