A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

isi0410..., mods on your 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isi0410..., mods on your 4.2

some of the crap out there really is a load of crap.

This forum will guide you towards all the best stuff to do to your car, as many of the fellas here have done the proverbial 'been there, done that.'

There's not much if anything you can't find out from these guys here at AW, a real smart and friendly group of guys. I've learned a truckload from participating at AW since January when I first got my 4.2.

Go with what has been proven to work. That stuff alone will keep you busy for awhile.

Enjoy your car and welcome aboard the AW forum!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 AM

Ideas?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sure... the 4.2 is limited as to whats available ergo performance enhancements...

k&n airfilter - some people dont like em, I've used em for over a decade without any problems. You can also do the cone induction stuff - a couple of options here.

Exhaust - Supersprint, MTM, Brullen, or go simple - remove center resonator, put in Magnaflow mufflers, replace stock piping with 2.5"

High Flow catalytic converters - several options

Chips - GIAC TipChip for quicker and more responsive shifting. GIAC ECU - good for 20hp on regular gas, probably a good deal more on 100 octane (good for dragstrip runs or just playing around).

Recode transmission with vag-com - code to '0032' for sport mode and hold 1st gear.

Other then that, there's not much left for speed performance other then doing some drastic stuff -

Supercharger - when the product actually hits the market place.
after market turbos - would be a custom job.

S6 Differentials to alter the 4.2's gear ratios - to a 3.51/3.53 something like that - which would net a better 1/4 and more responsiveness.

NOS - would really kick some *** - but very extreme method of gaining some ponies.

SOme homegrown stuff - you canm fashion a ram air kit for the car which, at speed, would provide a denser air charge coming into the airintake resulting in some additional ponies. Cut hole in air box, run a tube from air box down to airduct scoop - position scoop under bumper. But the scoop from another ram air kit - modify to fit the A6.

I haven't done this yet - but it is something I am looking into doing. Hey, anyone else give this a shot on an A6? I really liked the effect on past mustangs with the ram air - over 50mph, the ram air kit was really helped develop more power.

Besides go fast goodies:
suspension should be /could be reworked - eibachs or H&R springs. I will be going with Eibachs when I get around to it. Shox- bilsteins, konis.
Sway bars - H-Sport bars

or you could skip the crap - and get serious with coilovers from H&R - good enough for full on racing applications, fully adjustable.

Styling:
I guess this is all beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in many instances most people here like very similar looks - for instance, we all like the RS6 stuff.
Rear valence and oval tips, front end and grills, side skirts, and rear spoiler - all available from Achtuning.com - contact josh@achtuning.com

Caractere has as front end which is very very similar.

Other rear wing ideas - wetworks rear spoiler, BMW M5 rear spoiler (fits and works well, looks good), Audi A6 spoiler - eh.

Some other ideas - hella smoked tail lights, tint the windows of your car to match.
Get some new rims and tires - I am very partial to the BBS LM's, the Dronell Sportec M10's, and RS4's

Stainless/polished aluminum (not sure, but shiny almost chrome like) mirror covers ala S4/S6 look.

I am sure there's a slew of stuff that's not coming to mind right now, but that's a pretty good start there for ya - about $20k worth of stuff including installation fees.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:35 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, what was your fastest 1/4 mile time again? TIA.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:36 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind. Just saw your other post. Thanks for the data.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The crap I have, plus a GIAC ECU, running MAXimized...

should get low 13's, at or near redline in 3rd (appx 104/5 mph).

MAXimized - leave the spare at home (44lbs), tire pressure up, 1 gallon of 100 octane on an empty tank, pulling ECU, and pluggin back reseting ignition timing, once you put the 100 back in there.

It's crazy how restricted the stock exhaust is on this car. Free it up, and let the beast play. You cant go wrong with the tipchip either - very significant performance increase just by tighting up the driveline.