A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How much Auto Trans. fluid to replace for a fluid/filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Auto Trans. fluid to replace for a fluid/filter change?

I've seen references to 4, 6, and 8 qts., I think... and the sort of clueless service advisor I spoke with this morning (my regular guy was not around) said "I think it's like 12 qts. at $25/qt. ... we don't see many transmission problems, there's no need..." Right.

So, anyway, on an '01 2.8 Avant, what's the amt. needed to refill the AT when one drops the pan and replaces the fluid and filter?

I was going to have the dealer (a good one) do this to avoid any warranty hassles down the road (31.5k on it now) and since they do a 15% discount for Audi Club members, but may have my Porsche tech friends at my indy shop do it (using the Audi AT fluid).

Thx for any info, an archive search didn't show up w/ an answer.

Regards,
Jon
Old 05-16-2003, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You realize, of course, that officially, the trans fluid is considered a lifetime fluid-

never needs to be changed, according to AoA and almost all dealers (mine incl.).
Old 05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Elder Member

Default Sure, but it also affects how long the "lifetime" is...

Of course I realize that. I also know that there is a mountain of evidence, including basic laws of chemistry and physics, and empirical and anecdotal evidence that the stuff gets dirty, corrosive, abrasive, etc. It's called "lifetime" to give people the illusion that they don't need to maintain their car (pay for maintenance).

Sure it's "lifetime" fluid: If you don't ever change it, the "lifetime" of your AT will be a lot shorter, maybe about 100-120k miles. If you change it every 30-40k, you are highly likely to extend the life of the AT to well over 150k. My friend, the svc. mgr. of a M-B dealership, says that is the secret to long AT life, often well over 200,000 miles, based on his 30+ yrs. of servicing and repairing Mercedes-Benz automatics.

IMO for anyone who thinks they may keep their car for more than 75,000 miles, it's foolish to not change your AT fluid and filter. Since I plan to keep this one well over 100k, I'll be happy to spend a couple of hundred bucks two or three times to protect/prolong the life of a component that costs several *thousand* dollars to replace.

One can disagree over the interval: My M-B dealer friend says every 30k miles for a M-B auto; with new synthetics you could maybe go 50k (though see AT fluid analysis posted here before showing significant contamination and degradation in just over 30k miles). But not changing at all is asking for trouble IMO.

Regards,
Jon
Old 05-16-2003, 10:40 AM

Default easily 12 quarts if power flushed or even use

the trans hydraulic pump to do it.
Cut/break/disconnect the line to the ATF cooler and hook up hose to pressure side, hose to empty can.

Idle engine, put new ATF into trans dipstick pipe (or other access if sealed) until new stuff starts coming out into the not-so-empty can.

Some people like to drop the trans pan and clean it/replace the filter...I did this once on my 1990 volvo 740 turbo at 120K miles and ATF was clear and red (after 80K with amsoil synthetic ATF at 50k when I bought the car) and the pan was clean. I don't plant to drop the pan again at 220K...just flush the ATF.

I highly agree with replacing the ATF. Consider a synthetic (amsoil) that meets audi specs. And take a sample of the old stuff from your transmission before you have it changed and send it (and a sample of the new fluid) to an oil analysis facility just for grins.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Only use Audi fluid......and I wouldn't follow the advice on power flushing

Unless you really know what you are doing, but I don't think it's that easy.

Purchase 8 quarts and bring the rest back, you'll need at least 7.

Here's the procedure for the A8, your car has the same tranny I believe.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 AM

Default And you're not supposed to cut tags off pillows

or cross in the middle of the block, or cheat on your taxes, ........
Old 05-16-2003, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default transmission fluid changing

No matter how many times you change the fluid though, you will never get more than 66% of it ever unless you have it flushed and filled.
From Clair: the filter is $43.43, the filter gasket is $4.26, and the pan gasket is $22.31. I would guess the capacity is about 10 quarts total, and 4 quarts in the pan.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So the fluid breaks down or dries up; transmission dies; "lifetime warranty' fulfilled...

I always found a "lifetime warranty" funny - "This product will last its own lifetime. Once its lifetime is over, this warranty expires." In other words, "We warranty this product for as long as it works right and doesn't break."

wow.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Read the info in PaulW's link. It is vital to the longevity of the transmission.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Elder Member

Default Yeah, I saw that page earlier, thanks... doubt I'll power flush...

Though a power flush may be the only way to get it fully empty, getting a batch of fresh fluid in there is better than not doing it at all (the Audi fluid is synthetic according to all the info I have).

I would normally go Amsoil or RedLine but the Tip is a diff. critter and unless I see specific written info approving it in the Tip I'm inclined to stick w/ Audi fluid.

Thanks,
Jon

Quick Reply: How much Auto Trans. fluid to replace for a fluid/filter change?