A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Auto tranny problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto tranny problems....

Car: 1999 A6 2.8q - 5-speed Tip - 84k miles

Lately the tranny seems to be slipping and then slamming into gear (on occasion).

It tends to "slip and slam" most often when rounding a corner. I slow down for the corner then as I get around the corner I apply the gas and for just a second the cars "slips and then slams" and then starts moving. It doesn't do this all the time and I can't figure out how to repeat it. It will also do this when starting from a stop but more often than not it's when turning.

I haven't been able to see if the revs rise with when it slips, I believe they do.

It does this on occasion, I don't want it to sound like it does this on every corner. I may take it out for a quick trip and it will "slip and slam" a few time. Then I may do the same trip 10 other times and it will never do it!?

I'll take it to the dealer (probably next week) but since I can't repeat it I don't expect them to offer much help until it gets worse. Looking for any insight!!

P.S. No, I have not had the tranny fluid changed. I've been fighting with the dealer for almost a year to change it. They want to claim that it's a lifetime fluid, we all know that is BS!! Since it's under warranty I want them to change it (it will be on record).

TIA!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Given the same circumstances, it should be repatitive...

Try to exactly duplicate your driving style and situation, including braking, to get it to reliably repeat. Then, demonstrate the problem to the dealer. Of course, be sure your foot is well off the brake for a second before applying throttle.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sounds like the filter could be clogged

I would RUN, no, RUN FAST to the stealer or anybody else who would do it for you. Get the fluid and filter changed ASAP!

If it is clogged, when going around a corner, it could be starving the hydraulic pump of fluid because the oil in the revevior is over on one side of it, and the filter could be most clogged over there.

Get that fluid changed ASAP. It doesn't matter if it costs you $350, cheap, cheap insurance!

pw
Old 03-18-2003, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dare I say this is a common tip problem...

The transmission is in the wrong gear when you need power and figures it out to late for a smooth shift.
Numerous posts about this problem exist in the database.
Stoney's links reference posssible solenoid problems. I don't know if this case applies to you but it bears research.

I had a minor case of this same problem that was cured with a different driving style, a fresh reboot of the transmission and a recode using VAG-COM up to the 00032 sport mode.<ul><li><a href="http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html">Stoney's links</a></li></ul>
Old 03-18-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Go read the threads about my ATF changeout and oil analysis

And tell the dealer they're full of manure, and we've got proof. It's only "lifetime" because they don't have to pay (very often) when a tranny is trashed.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/21427.phtml">Anyone care to guess what this is? Hint - it isn't off-topic (much).</a>
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/22083.phtml">Think the ATF fluid is a life time fluid? Think again!</a>
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/22135.phtml">ATF Analysis Printout</a>

Also see:

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/22138.phtml">Great quote from Automobile Magazine on service intervals.</a>
Old 03-18-2003, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default PS - Quit arguing with the dealer and go find someone competent to service the car NOW!

Before you totally trash the tranny. You need a filter replacement ASAP
Old 03-18-2003, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the others have said do it NOW. What is your mileage?
Old 03-18-2003, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 84k miles. Appointment is next Tuesday. I brought up......

...the tranny change and they were again resistant. We'll see what they do!?

For those that say go get it done elsewhere. I want the dealer to do it. I can change the fluid myself but if it doesn't fix the shifting problem than they will (try to) blame the shifting on me. They WILL change it. Cost is not an issue, the only issue is getting the dealer to do it.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

That's crazy, print out the oil analysis and show that to them! I bet their tune will change
Old 03-18-2003, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's printed and ready!! I've never seen a car dealer so unwilling to take my money ;-)

Quick Reply: Auto tranny problems....