A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

First drive with O.CT K-04 Stage 2+ (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First drive with O.CT K-04 Stage 2+ (long)

Shortly after chipping my car, my K-03's started making funny noises (like a quiet siren), and after researching a bit, I elected to install the O.CT K-04's rather than have the K-03's replaced under warranty.

I like the O.CT concept of long and flat torque curve, and decided to go this route after much deliberation and budget discussion with my book keeper!

Today, my setup is O.CT K-04's with RS-4 air pipes, and stock everything else. A Milltek exhaust is in my garage, and set for install later this month (I have a great book keeper!).

My previous aftermarket software (designed for K-03) was not appropriate for this setup. Knowing my configuration and long term plans (Stage 6!) Bob at Stratmosphere worked with Markus at O.CT to create special code that would serve me until I can afford DP's etc...

Last night, I installed the ECU, adapted the TB, and went for a short drive. Due to snow (summer tires on, long story), my testing was limited to base functionality and a few VAG COM measurements. Today the roads cleared a bit, and I had more time to gain experience and create an impression.

I drove about 60 miles in a variety of conditions (snow, wet, dry, highway, back roads) and am very, very impressed with the O.CT turbos and software.

What makes this setup so remarkable is that there is very little to say. It just works, plain and simple.

I mentioned to Pete at Stratmosphere today that my A6 feels like a non drive-by-wire car with a well tuned V8 rather than a DBW car with a turbo V6! It is even smoother than stock w. K-03's and is completely linear over the full throttle and RPM range. No glitches, no surging, no nothing, just strong, smooth power across the band.

I am addicted for sure, and a true fan of O.CT and the Stratmosphere guys who have been really great!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the $5000 question....how much? nice writeup too
Old 02-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Craggy Old Man

Glad you like them : ) nice write up
Old 02-11-2003, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: the $5000 question....how much? nice writeup too

I believe that what I purchased is not a standard kit, so I suggest that you give either Bob or Pete a call at Stratmosphere for pricing.

The O.CT K-04 turbos are normally sold as a part of what Stratmosphere calls "Stage 4" which assumes you already have exhaust, DP's, fuel pressure regulator etc... in place. Pricing for their standard kits is on the web.

I was stuck with bad turbos, and insufficient funds to buy all the Stage 1-3 items, so Bob and Pete put together a kit for me of just the O.CT turbos, RS-4 air pipes and various hoses and clamps. Basically, at that time I wanted to put in everything that would require the engine to be pulled. I had the work done at the dealer by their lead tech (who coincidentally has O.CT firmware in his car).

It was Bob's idea to ask Markus to create special software so I'd get the most out of the turbos.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Glad you like them : ) nice write up

Now all I need is more money!!!

I also have to admit your recent video showing how fast your speedo clocks under acceleration convinced me to keep putting my pennines in the cookie jar!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Sounds like "lite" version that w/b attractive to enthusiasts that may not want to go all-out?
Old 02-12-2003, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is not too lite...

... the engine has to come out to put on the K-04's. I believe it was 21 hours of labor for the operation!

I bought the A6 with the specific intention of building a luxurious but serious road car. Given my choice, I would have gone a more classic route -- chip, exhaust, maybe dp's, then considered the K-04's. Having my K-03's start to make noise just after I put in my first chip pushed me to the K-04's sooner.

Deciding what to put in largely depends on what you are trying to create. If you want a drag strip monster you would do things differently than if you want a smooth daily drive with a bit more oomph for entry ramps and to keep those pesky bimmers at bay ;-)

If I were making a "lite" version, I would strongly consider the O.CT stage 1 or stage 2 packages. They are a bit more conservative in peak torque than some other K-03 oriented programs, but offer a comparatively long and flat torque curve. I believe that the O.CT software is "stage specific" so as you add more breathing, you can take better advantage while maintaining reliable operation.

Adding the K-04's opens a whole new range of performance!

I'd give Bob or Pete a call, and let them know what you are trying to accomplish and see if you agree with their philosophy. (ask them for a copy of the dyno tests on their upcoming Stage 6 setup... it is a beast!)
Old 02-12-2003, 11:22 AM

Default I was ref to a situation such as yours, ie, turbos needed to replaced...

Instead of going with K03s, do what you did. I assume all the other hardware you mentioned would add sig expense but might not be necessary for everyone. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Sorry if I did not get back to earlier ( or if at all : ( )

I think you had emailed me way back when.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I was ref to a situation such as yours, ie, turbos needed to replaced...

Sorry...sometimes my sarcasm is lost in forums!

To be more direct, yes, it is a great path to take, and yes, it is more costly than simply replacing the stock K-03's. If you are going to pull the engine and replace the turbos anyway, I'd strongly recommend putting in turbos with some serious capacity, which retain the same general feel as the stock turbos. The vaning of the turbine has been changed to allow these units to "turn on" at lower RPM's than standard RS-4 K-04's. I believe there are also other changes for improved operating margin and reliability.

The minimum parts list consists of the O.CT K-04's, some RS-4 airpipes and hoses, etc... and the appropriate software.

I spoke with Bob (at Stratmosphere) today, and he agrees that the best thing to do is call him. I am sure that he'll help create the right kit for your specific needs.

Quick Reply: First drive with O.CT K-04 Stage 2+ (long)