A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Serious issue with car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious issue with car

OK. I've had the car for about a week now(01 2.7t 6spd w/77k). I changed the oil on New Years Eve with a factory filter and 6 qts of Mobil One 5w30.

I ran the car for 10 mins to let it warm up and to check for leaks. I also left the belly pan off.

I've gone maybe 200 miles since then and it is down 1.5 qts already. I'm 100% sure that it was full and there are no visible leaks, although there seems to be a fair amount of oil on the backside of the motor. I also notice nothing unusual about the exhaust. It smells/looks fine. In fact, the dealer even slapped on a 2yr PA emissions sticker.

I have it going to an indy shop tomorrow to diagnose the issue. They, I'm sure, will perform a battery of tests to try and determine the cause of the unusual oil usage.

Does anyone out there have any good thoughts on this? It doesn't really set well with me as I like the car alot but don't want to be burdened by something very serious.

BTW, the car does have a powertrain warranty from the dealer for 7500 miles but I'm not sure how to enforce it as I bought it in PA and I live in CT.

TIA

Joe...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My old car has leaks in the cam covers and valve cover that never hit the floor

it became way worse when I swicthed to mobil1, to the point that they replaced all teh seals under warranty
Old 01-02-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why "Extended Warranty" is the #1 piece of considering-buying-a-used-Audi advice on this forum.

That said, I hope your problem here doesn't turn out to be a big deal.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

the softer, gentler no dot has spoken
Old 01-02-2003, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Serious issue with car

Only the obvious questions:

1. Did you check the oil level (both times) within a few minutes of turning the car off? The manual says to check it while warm I think but I've noticed a 1/4 qt. difference between checking it right after I turn it off.

2. If you are sure you have a leak, did you replace the filter properly? Did the old seal come offf before you replaced the filter with a new one? I only ask because it's a mistake I have made ;-) Also, you did remember to lube the new seal with oil? Another mistake I've learned from.

3. Any previous history with oil consumption/leakage? Was it leaking oil before you changed it?

Finally, Any possibility of contacting the dealer and finding out contact info for the previous owner? I know it's unlikey but it may be worth a shot. In any case, I think any serious repair should be covered by the seller if it is a pre-existing problem.

In any case, good luck and let us know the resolution.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mobil 1 is reputed to leak more than other oils. I use Amsoil Series 2000 0W40; consumption zero.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/215972.phtml">Recent thread on leaks with Mobil One</a></li></ul>
Old 01-02-2003, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: But was it using a qt. every 150 miles???

I know for absolute certain that I performed a flawless oil change. I cleaned where the filter goes very well, I lubed the new seal, I replaced the crush gasket, I added 6 qts, I ran the car for 10mins on the ramps to watch for leaks.

The car was down over a qt when I got it home after a 500 mile drive. I spoke to the dealer and they are awaiting the diagnosis from my mechanic. My issue is what respect they will give my mechanic and whether or not they'll let him fix it and pay him directly. I'd rather just due to the caliber of cars he works on and his reputation in the community.

What I don't get is how the hell can a car use that much oil in such a short period of time and not show it?!?
Old 01-02-2003, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Obvious guess: Bad seal around the oil filter?

It's possible that the oil drips onto a frame rail and runs to another part of the engine, or that it drips at speed and gets sprayed.

Conversion to synthetic on a 2001 car should not cause seepage. This is possible with much older cars.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Mobil 1 is reputed to leak more than other oils.

That may be all well and good, but I've gone 2 days and 176 miles!!!

Kinda hard to justify that kind of oil loss.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Why "Extended Warranty" is the #1 piece of considering-buying-a-used-Audi advice on this forum.

I hope not either. I wasn't afraid at all with this car, even with the turbos. I too was into Audi when they weren't cool and I know most of their cars inside and out. but this to me seems like something far more serious.

Quick Reply: Serious issue with car