A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Center console removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console removal

I wanted to remove the center console on my 2001 A6 Avant.

Anyone here know how to do this?

I have searched the forum, but I am never able to find helpful info - just little bits here and there

Any comments woudl help

Criticism is good
Help is good
anything is better than nothing

Anthony
Old 11-26-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear and central console (long)

The rear console goes from the rear ashtray to the Tiptronic lever area, the center console is the one with ESP switch, radio, A/C, ashtray.

There is a good tech article in the tech section, but it applies to a 1996 A6, some things are slightly different.

Anyway, here is the whole procedure (be careful, my memory is fading, there may be omissions !)

Rear console:
- pull the rear ashtray out, unplug its connectors. Unscrew the two 13mm bolts that hold the armrest and rear console. Don't pull it up yet. Unplug the hand-brake connector.
- remove the wood trim on top of the handbrake, by sliding it forwards. Open the little trim of the left side of the hand-brake, and remove the hex-screw exposed. Pull up the hand-brake as much as you can, it will help sliding the rear console away.
- remove the rectangular carpet trim which lies on the right of the hand-brake: it is not clipped nor glued, just sits there. This exposes the third 13mm bolt, remove it. Remove the wooden trim around the gear level/Tiptronic gate (nicely lift it up with a flat screwdriver in its rear section, but beware of scratches !). This exposes two bolts that you can now remove.
- lift the rear console backwards and upwards, veeeery gently, and unplug the outside mirror switch.
The rear console is now gone.

Sides of the center console:
You can remove the glove compartment and the driver's footwell panel. I am not sure it is necessary, but the 10 minutes it takes made my life easier.
- Glove compartment: nothing tricky, just 5 bolts. When it is freed, unplug the light connector.
- Driver's footwell: remove its 5 bolts: two are located above your knees, two are behind the plastic trim that covers the top of the steering column, just pull it towards you. The last bolt is in the fuse area, you first need to remove the panel at the extreme left of your dashboard. That panel is visible when the driver's door is fully open. Gently open the footwell trim, unplug its light connector and OBDII plug (the pink one, where you cold plug a VAG-com tool). Unclip the trim from its two bottom clips, above the pedals/footrest.

Center console:
- Remove front ashtray, A/C unit and radio: this is quite easy, no instructions needed.
- Remove the trim around ESP switch, cup holder,etc by unclipping its bottom clips first. Two or four bolts are exposed, remove them.
- On the left side of the center console, close to the gas pedal, there is a small trim, about an inch. Pry it open and unscrew the bolt. On the passenger side, no such bolt but a guide: the console is released when sliding backwards.

I think this is it !
- When you put the center console back, make sure it is guided into the passenger side clip.
- When you put the rear console back, align the air ducts and check that the rear vents are provided with air. Don't forget to plug the mirror switch, you will *hate* to have to do it all again (happened to me !)

PS: since I forgot to take digital pics, it would be just great if you could :-) ! Feel free to use/edit the above procedure. This would help others ?