A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

anyone have trouble with a 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have trouble with a 4.2?

having all kinds of issues with a 2001 4.2, nav system is boken, windows make all kinds of noise, fog lights burn out, ect
Old 09-08-2002, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problems. The windows will make noise if they're not clean - they have a

tight seal against the rubber along the bottom edge, and if they're dirty they'll squeak when opening (but not usually when closing). Not really a problem per se, just means my car is dirty!

The 4.2's, particularly 2001 and later seem to be pretty trouble free. Of course you'll hear of an ocassional person with a series of troubles (and not hear from the people that are not having problems...), but all told it seems to be a well built and trouble free car.

My 2001 needed a new headlight due to moisture inside of the lens assembly (replaced under warranty, no problem) and had a stuck seat-belt height adjuster upon delivery - also fixed free and at the first service. Only ongoing issue I've had is trying to get the dealer to fix the front passenger seat which rocked slightly. It took them 5 tries to fix it and was a problem only in that the dealer was lame, not the car.

About to go in for the 20K service and I have nothing on my list for them to look at.

What specifically is wrong with your Nav? Mine has been perfect, though I've heard of a broken one here that was fixed with a new part; again pretty simple repair.

What kind of noise are the windows making?

Describe further the fog light problem (they've burnt out after having been replaced more than once?). You actually use them? They seem pretty weak and functionally not very useful, though I sometimes use them on dark roads to give me a bit more light along the sides of the road as I have fairly poor night vision.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: anyone have trouble with a 4.2?

I have 2000 4.2 No problems of any sort at 21K. NorCal car. So far all stock including original P6000's Waranty Expires in Dec. I expect to do sway bar, sprigs, shocks, eng&tip chips at that time. Tires on original 17" pie plates before then.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:29 AM

Default Had Nav unit replaced fairly early on.

About 3-4 months after purchase. Flashing on and off. Necessitated replacement of the drive unit in the trunk. One night, done under warranty, got a loaner to drive. Had the oil temp sensor go out, same deal. Nothing that affected drivability, though the loss of Nav while 300 miles from home was a pain. No other problems to speak of.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All fixed: Warped rotors, creaky steering wheel, noisy A/C compr., creaky door rubber seals.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Never had problems so far with it.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Minor issues only.

Windows need to be cleaned frequently or the gaskets will grab them and cause the pinch-protection to kick in easily.

Don't know why your fogs burn out...but mine have been on for less than 1 hour total in 21 months.

I've had a set of rotors replaced (who cares, they're free), a coolant temp sender, a seat heater switch, and I need the long storage door on the driver's door replaced...for some reason it doesn't close smoothly...not bad, I'd say.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 30,000 miles on 2001 A6 4.2...

minor problems to date: oil temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor. Sunroof groans when opening. So far, so good.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing too serious.

The biggiest item was the ABS pump assembly had to be replaced. Burned out fog light bulb. Centre cup holder replaced. The sunroof control assembly replaced due to an inermittent electrical problem. Finally, the tires, not Audi's fault, have to be replaced due to feathering.
Current milage 16,000Km+.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No major problems, but parts availibility has been very poor in my experience.

I've had no major problems, but many small ones. I've come to the realization that complex, expensive cars will have many small problems. Paying more for a car doesn't get you less problems. I think the only way to avoid problems is to keep it simple with a basic car.

My problems that have been fixed

* Front driver seat began to wiggle at the base and had to be fixed.
* Front driver seat lumbar motor quit working and had to be replaced.
* Front driver window would not go up all the way and the regulator clips had to be replaced.

My problems that are too intermittent to fix
* Rear driver side window intermittently opens part way (after purposely closing it).
* CD changer, in the middle of a song, advances to the start of the track.

Problems that went away on their own!
* Interior lights would flash when coming to a stop.

Annoying traits:
* Lumbar area of front driver seat flexes occasionally.

Wonderful traits!!!!
* Quattro, especially in the rain!
* V8!
* Impeccable highway manners.

Quick Reply: anyone have trouble with a 4.2?