A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Attn: 4.2 owners...all your disappointments can be fixed for $3000...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: 4.2 owners...all your disappointments can be fixed for $3000...

First of all, thanks to sleestack for his generosity for allowing me to take his new 4.2 out for a bit of a spin, but especially for going out of his way and taking time out of his night to meet me...it is greatly appreciated...very interesting guy with a lot of cool stuff going on...actually made it difficult to concentrate on the driving...

Part 1: Throttle Lag/Transmission Lag
--both from a stop and accelerating while moving...virtually gone with the GIAC chips...compared to the S6, it was very, very similar from a stop, but more immediate than the S6 for downshifting from going, say 40 or 60... The best way I can describe it is that the engine and transmission are already ready for your next stab at the gas pedal and as your foot is pressing the pedal, the engine is revving higher and the transmission is already converting this into movement forward...all at the same time...creates a connected feeling from your foot to the wheels turning...unlike the unchipped 4.2 which, if you are too robust in your thrust of the pedal, the engine pauses, thinks about things for a second, then the engine starts to rev. This to me, seems like it is the engine chip doing the work. On the other hand, the transmission chip seems to be responsible for the virtually immediate downshift when stabbing the gas sufficiently...it seems to think "immediately" vs casually...it senses the urgency in the stab...sort of like anticipating the snap count in football...it also seems to eliminate the gear hunting that sometimes happens when you back off the gas pedal a little after stomping on it.

No doubt I will be getting these chips very soon. The only caveat to my 10-15 test drive is that sleestack's car is an '02 with "sport-mode", mine is an '01, pre-sport-mode...I'm willing to risk that it is the chips doing this, not the sport mode on the transmission.

Part 2: Cadillac-ride
--I and a few others have bitched a little (some much more than I about the lack of "sport" in the sport suspension...while much improved over standard, it still has a bit (ok, a bit more than a bit) of float, pitch, and dive, with modest, at most, body roll. I realize I exaggerate greatly when I compare this to a Cadillac...but comparing it to the S6, the 4.2 feels like the Queen Mary at times...
But, fortunately there is a cure...H&R Coilovers...they are a new MUST for my 4.2...now sleestack had his lowered considerably (est. 1.5-2 inches) and had 18 inch wheels...but I suspect most of the ride difference is due to the coilovers. Overall the ride is firmer, but definitely not uncomfortably firmer...moderately more firm than the S6. On getting back in the S6 after driving his car, I immediately felt like I was in an allroad because I felt the car was jacked up on the suspension...giving me some body roll around turns, unlike his 4.2. But otherwise, stiffness-wise it felt much like the S6 and also like the S6 was very resistent to pitch and dive. The S6 can get slightly (10% of the 4.2) floaty, but I think this is due to the standard ride height (same as 4.2 sport). Overall, I really felt like I was driving an S6 sedan particularly because of the very tight suspension, virtually no body roll (of course, within reason, this IS a 4000 pound car), and very flat on launch and stopping...without any floaty sensations...felt very pinned down (well, it was!). The only thing really lacking from the S6 was thrust. The butt-dyno was telling me it felt much more than my 4.2 (probably because of the immediacy of response), but not as much as the comparitively jumpy S6...the S6 pushes you back in your seat harder...I don't know how much additional horsepower the chip provides...but in normal driving or even abnormal driving, that is relatively minor to me...I much prefer the immediacy of response and the decisiveness of the gear changes...power is something I've never felt short-changed in in the 4.2...just in WHEN am I gonna feel the power?!

Sorry for the mega-post...but I'm not just being a kid in a candy-store...these "3" mods will eliminate the only complaints or shortcomings I feel the 4.2 has for me and will make it a much more pleasureable experience everytime I get into it...well worth $3000...and these will happen before any brake mods which would really only truly benefit me at the track or trying to "look cool"

Thanks again sleestack...anytime you wanna play golf and are short someone...give me a call...
Old 08-29-2002, 09:40 AM

Very good; would ship be good for my S6? Specifically the "I'm thinking" response on start.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My S6 doesn't think very much...the 4.2 has to read a book before getting moving...

if you stomp the gas too hard.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:04 AM
Craggy Old Man

: )
Old 08-29-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know that post is TOO LONG...here's the abridged version...

GIAC ECU chip: excellent, instant connection of foot to engine revs
GIAC TCU chip: excellent, near-instant connection of intention to downshift and actual shift, without a lot of confused guessing
H&R Coilovers: excellent, S6-like handling, a little tighter and firmer, adjustable ride-height, elimination of float, pitch, dive, and roll

That is all.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Aw Fin, contemporary America is losing contact with language....

Don't contribute to the decline in the quality of communication. Keep writing, even in a somewhat limiting mdium such as a message board. If people can't read it quickly enough, then frankly, they need the practice!
Old 08-29-2002, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Important question: does the throttle hesitation go away with just the tip chip? It may...

... because the engine must wait for the transmisson to shift before applying full power. This isn't like an older car where they are separate.

So, what I'd like, is a report from someone with just the Tip chip. Compared to both chips, if possible.

Problem is, most people haven't driven both, so comparison is hard. May have to call Garrett.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I don't know...but I supposed a separation in effect of the 2 chips...

based on...
1. from a stop...stomping the gas pedal resulted in immediate engine response...that is, in a car already in first gear, not needing to downshift (ECU-effect)
2. from a speed of 40-60...stomping the gas pedal resulted in a very quick, decisive downshift, coupled with an immediate engine response...(TCU+ECU effect)

That is my interpretation...but you are right...I don't know.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I totally believe your report... I just don't know enough about ECU vs TCM and effects of each chip.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Attn: 4.2 owners...all your disappointments can be fixed for $3000...

I am in silicon Valley also and I agree, I believe I will follow all these mods as soon as my 4.2 comes off warranty in Dec.