A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

For the Audiophiles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the Audiophiles...

Are there options for replacing the speakers in a '00 A6 with Bose? Getting a little tired of the heavy mid range sound and muddy bass...

TIA,
-JP
'00 A6 2.7T
Old 08-05-2002, 10:59 AM

Probably better to access the internal EQ (if possible)
Old 08-05-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default no options at all. Only adding a sub like I did, or comlete upgrade. Bose is a

propritary system. Try this link from Stoney the King!!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/75433.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/75433.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-05-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try hidden EQ first. You can turn off Bose in head unit and add amps and speakers/woofer.

I haven't done the latter, because to do it the way I want should top $5000. I would first try keeping the Symphony stock head unit, turning off the Bose features, and add very high quality speakers, sub, and amps. If that didn't sound good enough, I'd switch the head unit (but you have to keep it hidden behind the dash due to the alarm and other features it contains.

But you can add front speakers and a sub for roughly $1000 and perhaps beat the Bose stock system. I'm not familiar with the choices... have to shop around, or ask in the Audio forum here.

To use the Bose at its best, try the hidden EQ. For more about that, and about "disabling Bose" features, see links at site below:<ul><li><a href="http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html#audio">http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html#audio</a</li></ul>
Old 08-05-2002, 11:15 AM

Default I tried the hidden EQ

IIRC, I have the settings something like:

Still, I would like to go with some aftermarket speakers and a sub. Just not too happy now that the speakers seem "a little tired" from all the high speed windows down runs on the road.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Or just a sub/amp for about $500
Old 08-05-2002, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't use same settings on front and back speaker pairs...

... they really sound quite different. On my 2001 4.2 sedan, I came up with the settings in my article, based on my semi-educated ear. I found this made a huge difference in satisfaction, from awful to decent. And, I haven't been moved to change it over a wide variety of recordings and almost a year of loud listening, which means I finally struck the right EQ.

If your car is a sedan, try those.

Still, the Bose is not a very good system. And, you are right, they don't handle power well. I've already had a woofer replaced.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Default Are there Pre-Outs for a sub?

Or did you just splice into the lines?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Thanks, I'll try that this evening.

As for a sub, I am looking for something like a single 10 or 12.

I listen to quite a bit of different types of music ranging from Trance to Classical and Jazz. Kinda of hard to keep one setting across the board.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you hit the right EQ, it works on all types of music...

... short of pathological recordings. The EQ changes are to compensate for flaws in the car acoustics and stereo system. The bands are somewhat narrow, compared to the tone controls. Use the latter for adjusting between recordings.

Some synth stuff is too overdone in the bass, at least according to my composer friend (and listening to his CDs!). But, jazz, rock, classical... should all be the same EQ. I only change the bass or treble ***** a click or two at most for poor recordings.

Often in cars, one sets different tone control settings depending on the playback volume you tend to use. But this doesn't seem necessary in the A6.... I perceive a "loudness compensation" (bass compensation vs volume) at work in the Bose system, along with the (adjustable) volume-vs-speed feature. So, mostly, I keep my hands off the tone controls, and never change the EQ.

Quick Reply: For the Audiophiles...