A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Emailed GIAC with questions last week...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emailed GIAC with questions last week...

regarding the TipChip and ECU swap. I have yet to receive a response. Does anyone else offer a TipChip? If so, has anyone tried it?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Emailed GIAC with questions last week...

I don't work for GIAC but I use the ECU chip and the Tip chip. Have used them for 10,000 plus miles. Can I answer any questions for you?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:52 PM

Default Hopefully!

Thanks for the offer, maybe you can answer a few questions.

My questions:

1) Is the Tip chip still a "send in only" mod or can a replacement chip be purchased? (There are no dealers within 3-4 hours of my house and I can't afford to lose use of my car for several days.)

2) ECU performance w/Tip transmission - what performance increase is expected regarding 0-60mph and 1/4 mile?

3) Hod does the GIAC "socket" solution differ from swapping out the ECU? Is a single chip replaced/removed? Will the dealership recognize the modification?

I'm sure I'll think of more after you answer. Even if you can't answer one or all, thanks again for the offer!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Hopefully!

1) Must have tip chip if you do engine chip. Trans will act unacceptably wierd without it. Tip chip is a send in only item. Thought... purchase TCU for your car, send in for Tip mod. You can install TCU yourself. Then sell the extra one, no need to keep the stock one really. 500 xtra for TCU, but you could sell it to the next guy in your shoes.

2) Switching both chips is the single best bang for the buck I have ever seen in any car I have ever owned. You get at least 60hp gain or more depending on which program you get and which fuel you run. It is dramatic. Most stock turbo cars do not see this much improvement with just a chip. Times...??? Car is big and fat, engine is small, not really a very good 0-60 or 1/4 miler, but no slouch either. It really is a high-speed freeway bomber, lots of top end with chip.

3) If dealer opens ECU they would immediately recognize the socket setup. The socketed setup allows you to do your own upgrades. You would still need a spare stock chipped ECU when you go to dealer.

I have had my setup for 10,000 plus miles, know others who have had setup for much longer. I did blow Throttle Body Boot last week (they are prone). I am going to replace with a Kevlar wrapped model to avoid the problem.

Get the setup you will love it. Since you will have to do it by mail. Try Jeff Moss, formerly of Velocity Sport. He is in business for himself now and I believe he is an authorized GIAC dealer.
Jeff Moss - moss@torque-factory.com
Old 07-22-2002, 02:41 PM

Default Thanks, a few more questions...

1) Any idea where I can purchase a TCU? I don't want to walk into the dealership and ask them for one!

2) Wouldn't keeping the ECU stock and purchasing a separate "chipped" version (APR for example) help ensure that the dealership doesn't find out?
Old 07-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Craggy Old Man

Where do you live?? Just wondering
Old 07-22-2002, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Where do you live?? Just wondering

SE Michigan
Old 07-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default Some info I have gleamed from other sources

You can buy an ECU and TCU from various tuner shops.
Since you are a TIP and the Tip tranny is rated for 313lbs of torque:
You have different options.

You can go with the standard chip offering of 310HP and 330-366lbs of torque. AMS, APR, GIAC offers these. APR has the switch, to switch between programs using the cruise control. GIAC has a switch but right now it is very limited in range(you have to almost on top of the unit to get it to change programs). GIAC is currently getting a newer version approved and might have it to market with in the next few months if not sooner. It will have greater range and uses a keyless remote like our Audi key.
Of these chips if it were me I would choose GIAC or AMS, not because I don't like the APR, its just that Garrett and AMS are local for me. If you are in the So Cal area or even if you are not, for a GIAC product I would recommend Jeff Moss. He is very good with the GIAC product. I think GIACuser gave his email address in another post.

Another ECU chip option is to go for the AMS ECU chip that was made specifically for the TIP. It has 300-310hp and 300lbs of torque. Their feeling was that this would help prolong the lifespan of the tranny. Note: I did not say longer than if it were stock!! Just longer than a chip producing more torque. If you decide to go this route talk to Marc at AMS.

For a TCU chip I would say get the GIAC Tip chip. It is the only Tip chip that actually speeds up the shifting on the Tip cars. Period.

Some 0-60 times were improved with the A6 by .15 to .30. This was doing using a Gtech for both a stock car and a `GIAC tip chip only' car.

If you decide to chip I would suggest upgrading other components at the same time. Get at the least the TT 225 BPV's the -710N valves, or get the MTM/Hoppen BPV or even the Forge valves. I would get the AMS Kevlar taped TBB from AMS cost is $89 and that includes their special clamps. APR has a Bi-pipe which is the best solutions but around $300-$ 350 I think. Run Mobil 1 in the car 0w-30 or 5w-30 or if you can ge the 0w-40 from a Porsche Dealer. I would upgrade the brakes since you adding more power. Go with the Stoptechs or something similar. Make sure you have "W-Y-Z" rated tires before you chip. Chipping removes the limitier and just in case you should have tires that have a higher speed rating.
If you haven't, I would take a Quattro Drivers School, before you upgrade and after you upgrade . It will help you understand your car and what "its" and "yours" limits are.

I would buy a spare ECU and have that chipped leaving your stock box untouched. I would also get a spare TCU for the same reason. Especially the TCU cause it has these little tabs that will break off when you open/close the box. An ECU will run ~$525 and a TCU ~$600-700.

ECU chip ~$595 Giac, Tip chip $300 with purchase of ECU chip ,,, or $400 when bought alone.

The best advice is : Stay stock and stay worry free, but that's all up to you. Again, the above opinions are from gathering info from others that have gone to the Dark Side of the Force. Stay stock Luke, like me and enjoy the Good side of the Force!!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Thanks, a few more questions...

1) I would check with the tuner you purchase the GIAC chip from. They can purchase one from dealer for you. Mine supplied the ECU, I did not purchase a TCU.

2) Yes, one is untouched, the other is chipped. You put the original back in when you go to the dealer.

Also must have VAG software from www.ross-tech.com in order to clear telltale codes. Worth having anyway just for troubleshooting.