A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Another source of rattles found: Sunroof rubber!! It seemed to come from elsewhere....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another source of rattles found: Sunroof rubber!! It seemed to come from elsewhere....

I heard rattles that sounded like they came from the passenger front door. My passenger reported it sounded like it came from me! Closing the sunroof cover made it disappear.

The quality of the sound is similar to other creaks (like when going up a driveway at an angle) and rattles, which I have since solved by lubricating the rubber around the doors using Aerospace 303 Protectant. The rear doors were the worst offenders (even though the sound appeared to come from above!) So, I assumed this was is another case of rubber "rubbing".

I experimented with quieting the sunroof rubber using this same technique. So far, it appears to have worked. I heard it more when I have a passenger (more weight causing the body to flex?), so I will need a passenger for the "acid test."

I lubricated the rubber around the sunroof glass, and the lip of the hole into which it fits. First I tilted the glass up, and wiped the rubber portions that I could reach, using a small make-up remover sponge. There were some small skirts on either side that also seemed to be possible sources of noise, so I treated them as well. Then I lowered and retracted it, applying protectant to the remaining rubber around the window and various surfaces that it can touch. Careful not to drip into the seats!

Give it a try. First, test it: Close the sunroof cover, and see if rattles go away... even sounds that seem to come from elsewhere. For creaks when the chassis twists (like going up a driveway slowly at an angle), try setting the rear doors ajar, and see if these creaks disappear. If so, a rubber treatment is your fix.

These sources should be tried first, as they are loud and hence mask other noises, and very easy to eliminate.

Also, make sure to re-apply after some time passes or after a car wash or two. The sound can come back.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:30 PM

Default "I lubricated the rubber around the sunroof glass, and the lip of the hole into which it fits"

hmmm.....Isn't that special? ;-)
Actually, most of my creaks seem to emanate from around the sunroof. They secured a bundle of wires a couple months ago but that didn't make too much diff. Maybe a need to borrow a little of your lube...
Old 06-03-2002, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll let you write your own joke about that quote.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BWAHAHAHA - Stoney wears makeup! I knew there wasn't something quite right with him!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I noticed the same thing.

I actually took some of your advice and used some protectant around all four doors. Now I only hear it around the sunroof and maybe somewhere else. I will have to get better stuff to put around that. It totally bothers me, but I think the car has so much weatherstripping that it has to make these noises.

Thanks.
DK
Old 06-04-2002, 09:26 AM

Default Known 5er problem and solution, so you're probably right

When I tell my service advisor that my sunroof is rattling, they lube it up. Sometimes neater than others.