A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T vibration problem solved...!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.7T vibration problem solved...!?!

The service rep I spoke to when I dropped off my car on thursday was actually quite attentive. He took down the contact info, and made notes on the work order to check out the drive shaft as I requested.

Later on Thursday, the service mgr called me to ask if she could take my car home overnight. She said she had spoken to the tech and he told her what to look for to point to the drive shaft as the source of the problem. Since there isn't any room in the area around the dealership to take the car up to speed, she wanted to take my car home since she takes the turnpike on the way. This would give her a chance to see for herself.

When I called her the next day she said there was a definite vibration problem (duh!) and all signs pointed to the drive shaft (sure.. now!). So she said they were going to put the car up and check out the shaft. She said one of the balancing weights may have fallen off, but they'd probably have to go ahead and order a new shaft so I would have to leave the car there over the weekend, and they'd have the new shaft in on Tuesday. I said that was fine with me.

Well... later on Friday she called me back and said that all 4 tires were out of balance, so they balanced them... then they made some "adjustments" to the drive shaft and took it back out for a test spin. She said that the car was 100% better and as far as she could tell, the vibration was gone. So she wanted me to pick up the car and drive it over the weekend to see if it was fine.. but she'd leave the repair order open in case there was still some vibration so they could order the drive shaft.

Well, today (sat) I was able to get some good highway time and the vibration actually seems to be gone! And.. maybe it's just in my head... but the car actually feels a little tighter at highway speeds! I have to drive it a bit more to make sure there aren't any faint hints of the vibration still lingering... Sometimes I think I feel something.. but maybe it's just in my head..

I have to ask the service manager what exactly the "adjustments" were. FrankM2.7 said they had tried balancing his drive shaft, but that didn't work so they replaced it entirely. At least for now, the "adjustment" seems to have worked for my car! And I highly doubt it was the tire balancing... Those tires have been (supposedly) balanced 3 or 4 times when I complained about the vibrations in the past.

I'm happy for now.. but still a little paranoid...

So for all you 2.7T owners that have that mysterious vibration at 65-75mph: 1) have a tech or rep ride in the car to feel the vibes for himself, and 2) demand that they check the drive shaft!
Old 05-25-2002, 08:40 PM

Default Re: A6 2.7T vibration problem solved...!?!

Unless/until the wheel balancing is done on a Hunter machine it is highly probable they
were still out of balance in at least one plane.

Have them check lower control arm bushings.

Regards
Old 05-26-2002, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Easy to Blame the Tires

I had the tires balanced 2-3 times. Last at a tire store. (After my Audi service rep thought there must be a bad cord in the tires.) Although the vibe is reduced after the tire store rebalancing, it's not gone entirely. I'll mention the drive shaft next week at the 15k check up.

I truly hate the vibration. For a $45k (somewhat a performance car) to vibrate at highway speed is unacceptable.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:02 AM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you're missing Capt Ron's point. It could be a force variance problem with the tires/wheels!

You'll find info on this subject in the archives also. This may not be your or midori's problem but it's worth looking into. IMHO!<ul><li><a href="http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm">Solve vibration problems balancing can't fix!</a></li></ul>
Old 05-26-2002, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How about the 35-45 steering wheel wobble? Any reports or news on that?
Old 06-30-2002, 05:02 AM

Default Re: How about the 35-45 steering wheel wobble? Any reports or news on that?

Help we have this same problem as well. We have this same problem as well. We reported it immediately upon picking up the car, and have had it in several times for service. We have been told they did not feel it, that is characteristic to this vehicle, and that audi is or is not aware of the problem, depending on who we spoke to.
We are at our wits end. It is very annoying as that is the speed we are usually at.
Any suggestions??