A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

creaking noise when entering/exiting driveways

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creaking noise when entering/exiting driveways

hello,
i hear something on my new 2002 2.7T Sport Tip every time i have to drive into a driveway. It sounds like a creaking noise from the rigid body like it doesnt have any give or something to that effect. I hear it from the rear window through the sunroof and into the front window. Never heard this before on any of my other cars.

DK
Old 05-06-2002, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I rememebr a post about a rear door adjustment
Old 05-06-2002, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're in luck, easy to fix -- just treat the rubber around the doors...

I struggled with this on my 2001 (the 2002 is more rigid but apparently still has this).

As the body twists, the doors move relative to the body. The rubber seals slide and, if they aren't lubricated, can make this noise.

I know it sounds like it comes from other places, but inside the car it is hard to tell directions correctly. To prove this, open all the doors slightly (esp the rear) and go up a driveway slowly... silence.

What I did was to treat all the rubber around each door, and the metal or plastic pieces that they touch when the door is closed, with a rubber treatment. I used Aerospace 303 protectant because it seems to be harmless to this synthetic rubber and even helps it. Silicone treatments may be slippery (desired) but can dry out the rubber (I assume due to the propellant) if you don't use it regularly.

I treated it twice and haven't heard the sounds again.

<A HREF="http://www.properautocare.com/rubsealnotru.html">Rubber Seals - Aerospace 303 Protectant</A>
<A HREF="http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&amp;prrfnbr=3790&amp;ou tlet=">303 Aerospace Protectant - Quart Product Page</A>
<A HREF="http://www.303products.com/retailers_online.htm">303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl etc: Retailers On-Line</A>
Old 05-06-2002, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I got that creak - make sense as it is intermittent, seems to be right rear door

thanks stoney, i will give your treatment a try later today.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:52 PM

Default I've got a strange creaking noise in my car as well, but it sounds more like metal creaking...

... as opposed to rubber seals. Is this what you experienced, Stoney? My driveway has a slight incline from the street's point of view. I tend to only hear mine from entering/exiting my driveway as well.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't say. Mine creaked like a hinge, but had a plastic-leather kind of sound, not metallic.

First, try leaving back doors open, then go up your driveway. If that gets rid of it, then lubricate the rubber like I did and see if that solves it. If the lubrication doesn't help (make sure to get all the rubber and the surfaces they seal against), then it could be an issue with the door latch or door adjustment.

Sound travels and resonates, so one can't be sure where it is or what the material is made of.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:28 PM

Default as you turn in you can hear it around front and back windows.

sounds like they are creaking as the car contorts.
DK
Old 05-06-2002, 05:29 PM

Thanks. i will try it, but it sounds more like the windows and sunroof.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Sigh! Having trouble finding that stuff in the UK

The S8 creaks like an old sailing ship up my driveway, I think it must be the rubber as there's an awful lot of it in the S8 - the twin pane glass has some very thick rubber seals round it, plus the rear ventilation goes through the front doors so there's an extra set of seals on both front and back edges of the door.

I've tried searching for the 303 product in the Uk, but no joy. Any idea what it's made of technically, or if there's some kind of generic "trade" name for the stuff? I might be able to find a different brand that's basically the same.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Although 303 is good, I'm sure there are reputable products there...

Try a boating shop or high-end car care shop. I bought my bottle at West Marine supply, here in San José, CA.

When it comes to using such products, I try to read enough opinions from suppliers and users before determining if it is safe (does no harm) and effective. If you start with local car clubs and their favorite suppliers, I'm sure you'll find something good.

Perhaps some of the suppliers of 303 will ship to you? I've recently ordered some CDs from England, which was easy and fast.