A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Muhammad, warranty question for you-->

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Muhammad, warranty question for you-->

I have checked with extended Warranty Corp, and they have the best pricing that I have found so far.
How have your experiences been with them? I know that it's worth the money, but have they handled your claims promptly and thoroughly?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2002, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must be a different Extended Auto Warranty corp...

Because <a href="http://www.extendedautowarrantycorp.com/">the one I've talked to</a> doesn't cover quattro cars.

Who's the backing company and why should you be convinced that they'll be in business in 4-5 years?

Sure hope it's a parts-excluded coverage... where only the list of LISTED parts are NOT covered... everything else IS covered.

Does it cover exhaust parts like O2 sensors and cats?

Do they have a refund policy? Transfer charges? What happens if you (or the car) moves out of the state you buy it (the warranty) in? Say, to California.

Just do lots of homework... and if you haven't already, read <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/129217.phtml">my post on warranties</a>.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default it's the same one as the link you provided-->

they will charge an additional $100 to cover the Quattro cars, and the salesperson asked me specifically if it was a Quattro.
I didn't see some key items listed as being covered, and that's why I was concerned. It doesn't mention camshafts as being covered (even though they are internally lubricated parts) and the A/C control panel is not covered.
Everything else appears to be there, with the exception of a timing belt (which concerns me also, as if a timing belt snaps even though it has been changed at the recommended interval, I'm not sure the damage would be covered)
I also don't see any rear suspension parts as being covered.
I was quoted $1699 for coverage until 86,500 (48 mos/48k, and what I like the most is the ability to re-new at that mileage for another term.
It's not parts excluded, and the list of covered components isn't terribly long either.
1source.com has a much longer list of covered components, but the cost is $2300, including a surcharge for twin turbos and AWD. I like their coverage much better, but neither company covers things like airbags and such.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Elder Member

Default Run away IMO...

If you don't get one that covers everything except what is specifically excluded, you are opening yourself to all kinds of semantic or other exclusions if you have a problem, and any one of them could easily cost you the difference in the prices.

You are covering an expensive car, and you will get what you pay for when you buy a service contract... the one that costs less, will cover less. No one can tell whether the part that breaks, if any, will be one that is excluded from one and not the other.

In any case, I would never spend the amt. they want ($1,500 plus) for a "covered parts" only contract. Just my preferences and bias.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can do better, since you're still udner 50k miles...

Check WarrantyByNet.com and Warranty Gold... I would consider better coverage for $400-$500 more a better deal.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agree. If he were out of warranty, different story.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Elder Member

Default Muhammed, I'm just curious, what makes you say that? [e]

is it the prices (relative or otherwise), or some other thought?

thx,
Jon
Old 04-30-2002, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, I'll explain...

Basically, when you're under factory warranty, you can get coverage very similar to factory coverage, in that it's a parts excluded coverage. Some typical things are always excluded. Wear items, exhaust, etc. But still, if a jimmy switch on the seat breaks, it SHOULD be covered unless on that list of "not covered" parts.

But, once you're out of warranty... it's a totally different game. You're at the warranty company's mercy, and your options are limited. You will not be able to get a parts excluded contract, but rather only parts included... and then that jimmy switch won't be covered...

So for 4/48 parts included coverage, what he mentioned (aside from the timing belt being excluded) sounded decent. The parts included contracts assume older cars, more problems, and generally higher prices for what you get.

But, a positive is that they are generally in effect from the date/mileage you buy them at... if you buy one today when you car has 60k on it, and it's a 4/48 contract, you're covered through 108k miles. It's nice to have some coverage beyond 100k. My 100CS is still under warranty (getting a second new A/C compressor tomorrow) at the tender old (I mean young ) age of 106k.

On the other hand, a parts excluded contract will be from the original in-service date, or the term in MONTHS starting from when you buy the contract, but mileage as TOTAL on the car. So if you're at 49k and you get a 7 year/100k contract, that will cover you for 7 years, but only 51k miles.

Bottom line is if that contract could still be purchased when he's at 55k, for example, it might be a fair deal at that time.

Now, however, it's not what I would do.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Elder Member

Default Got it...

I see your point. On my '01 A6 Avant I'm planning to wait until late in the factory warranty period to decide whether to get a service contract --- so I can get a feel for how reliable the car is (18k miles in 18 mos. so far, very reliable), and whether I want to "self insure" or not.