A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Weird key loss of sync episode...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird key loss of sync episode...

Forgot to post this last week:

I went out to my car, hit the unlock button twice to open all doors & trunk. Opened trunk, put some stuff in, closed trunk. Opened driver's door, put some stuff in, closed door. Hit lock button on remote, no go.

Grumbled, tried informal lock doors hit button resync - no joy. Went back inside, fretted for a while, came back outside... <i>read owner's manual</i> (hangs head in shame) lock door from outside with key, hit button, should be resynced. No joy.

Tried forum suggestions of key in ignition while stepping, no joy.

Went back inside, fretted and grumbled.

Walked outside, unlocked car with key, locked car with key, pressed unlock on remote <b>ONCE</b>, unlocked car, pressed lock button on remote - JOY! Looked more carefully at owner's manual and saw note to (quotes approximate) "Press lock or unlock button on remote once, then unlock or lock car within one minute."

Ahhhhhh, I think I see. Successful resync requires <b>ONE</b> button press! The other times I'd tried the remote "just in case" before beginning the sync process and I *know* I didn't wait one minute between successive tries. I think the many times I've had to resync, I've done it some time after the remote failed to work. This time I was in a hurry and annoyed, so kept trying and trying.

I suspect the 20 step dance posted in the tech section is successful by virtue of imposing delays, not by virtue of having the key in the ignition. I've absolutely resynced both my '00 and my '01 several times never having a key in the ignition.

YMMV of course. Oh yeah, pretty freaked out by the loss of sync since there's NO WAY I hit the remote out of range of the car between unlocking and attempting to relock....
Old 02-04-2002, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks, Richard. Now I've got a headache to go with my Superbowl hangover. ;-)

I'll just copy it and save it for a more lucid period.