A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Temporary front license plate mount, version 1: suction cups!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary front license plate mount, version 1: suction cups!

Many of us do not have a front license plate, but need one when visiting certain jurisdictions, such as San Francisco, where tickets can be quite expensive. It seems that scoff-laws are removing their front plates to avoid being identified in radar-cameras for red-light running.

I'm working on a more secure mounting method. In the mean time, here is method that may be fully adequate. Simply attach suction cups to the plate holder given to you by the Audi dealership. These "suckers" really stick! I believe there will be little marring of the bumper if you clean both surfaces fully before using it (correct me if I'm wrong).

The suction cups were bought at a local Orchard Supply Hardware store. They are "Lavelle 1 3/8" with 8/32" screws, 4 Pieces." I believe the "8/32" refers to number 8 screws with 32 threads to the inch (even though the length of the screws appears to be 1/4" which equals 8/32").

I use small pre-existing holes in the back of the black plate frame, provided by Audi (for a 2001, in case that matters). The holes are almost large enough and just need to be tapped out. I used an allen-head screw of the same size (which I believe is #8 - 32 threads per inch) and ran it in and out of the holes, a bit deeper each time, until enough of the hole was threaded.

The screws on the cups are about 1/4" long, so I put a nut (bought separately) on each one to serve as a spacer.

Note that the top pair of holes in the back that I used are also the holes through which the top of the license plate attaches in the front. So, I used a very short screw of the same type with a couple of washers so that the two screws, entering from opposite sides, do not hit each other. Alternatively, try using a different pair of holes for the upper pair of suction cups.

To mount the plate, clean the cups and the bumper. Line up the slotted protrusions on the bottom back of the mounting plate with two vertical struts of the grille equidistant from the center, in the upper most horizontal slot of the grille. Slide it upward along the struts until they protrusions it the top of the grille. Then press the suction cups against the bumper.

I'm working on a more secure attachment, one that hopefully will fit A6 and S6 alike. I have a prototype of wood that mounts to the grille, but want to make one out of durable plastic. I'll post that version when its ready. However, I think this version may be enough for many of us.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:05 PM

Default Thanks, will look for the 'advanced' version.

Starting to put some pressure on the body shop tomorrow - now 9 weeks for a 6 week delivery on the hood. At this point the front bumper isn't drilled, but I really want the plate on there. I just read 'Roadshow' in the Me4rc today and lots of jurisdictionw will be clamping down - it is a state law for the front plate. With my cool vanity plate ("A6 42Q") I don't mind having it up; it just bothers me to have holes in the bumper! Thanks for the hard work!
Old 01-06-2002, 11:08 PM

I swear, when you put your mind to something. Some kind'uv sealing to keep air flow out?
Old 01-06-2002, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you mean about air flow?
Old 01-07-2002, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did'nt know that...

when visiting certain jurisdictions, such as San Francisco that required front plate liscence you also need to have one even if you are not there for a long term. How many time will you stay there to need to put a front plate liscence ? --Great idea you've had with thoses "suckers".
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They're actually required in the entire state of California...but...

they're not usually a target of the heat...apparently San Francisco is gonna get "tough"...
Only a few states (I can't name them) do not have a front plate.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:37 AM

Default I think this is one of those things a cop will add to the laundry list

if he/she pulls you over for something, but I would think it would have to be a slow police day to get pulled over just for no front plate. It would be like getting stopped just for a dark tint. Unless you're in a high-enforcement city that has installed redlight cams and wants to maximize income.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:17 AM

Default Don't know if it'll stand away from bumper...

I can't tell from pictures if the compressed cups will let the frame fit flush against the bumper. If not--some rubber window seal or something? If it is flush--should work. If air gets behind it--how much pressure can the cups take. Dam* good idea you have there! I'm like you--don't want the holes!
Old 01-07-2002, 10:19 AM

We have cameras in Fresno--that seems to be the spark.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well....umm

Here in San Diego, on some of the access points to the main feeder roads (those roads having photo enforcement i.e. Miramar Road ) when traffic is at a crawl, during the morning commute, it is not uncommon for there to be a cop standing on the intersection island between the stop and go traffic pointing all of the traffic with no front plate to the side so that his associate can write them up. I am sure that they are writing up the front plate because I have never seen a pulled over car that HAS a front plate and obviously they can't tell from the front if your registration is valid or not. If I were without that plate I would have received dozens of violations in the last few months in that commuting area. I realize this is a very small point in the universe but I'm sure it will spread as fast as photo-enforcement does.

Quick Reply: Temporary front license plate mount, version 1: suction cups!