A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Going to my first autocross tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to my first autocross tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions?

Besides checking my insurance.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A couple of things...

Make sure your tires are pumped up pretty high (about 40 lbs.). Take as much stuff out of the car as possible to keep the weight down. I usually remove the spare tire and anything else in the trunk.

As far as driving: it REALLY helps to walk the course before they start running, so arrive early. And remember, smoothness with steering, braking and even accelerating, really makes a difference.

I've autocrossed my 2.7t and really had a good time. I even beat a couple of modified S4's!

Good Luck!

Chris JB
Old 11-17-2001, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm no expert, but a few ideas...

Bring or borrow a helmet; empty the car of knick-knacks; empty trunk; bring tire pressure gauge & pump.

Don't forget to turn off the A/C, and if an Auto, put in gear 2 (unless its a fast course, then upshift). If Tip, use the tip mode which upshifts by itself at redline, while auto 2 or 3 will limit at redline.

If you've got a turbo, there are ways tool the intercoolers between runs, like water spray and even fans.

What do I know, I've only done it once; watched 3 times. Kinda new to me.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default great arcticle in tech section...

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-17-2001, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found that 45lb worked the best with Dunlop 9000
Old 11-17-2001, 04:23 PM

Don't hit the cones : )
Old 11-17-2001, 04:50 PM

Default Adam, I've done it a few times...

Been autocrossing for 10+ years (92 Vette, now a Cobra replica, and sometimes with my 4.2) and a Safety Steward. Let's talk safety first--newbies can have a few problems.
-Attend the driver's meeting, listen and ask questions.
-Even if you're not assigned to work before you run, try to double up with one of the experienced course workers and watch others run/ask questions.
-DON'T screw around in the paddock area, staging or out on the track-No speeding (unless you're running), watch around you/cars are always moving, stop if you're red flagged and at the stop sign at the end of the run. Many folks bring their kids.
-Make sure everything is buttoned down-the battery, loose stuff (radar detectors, etc.) and the trunk area. Don't worry about taking the spare out--it's your first time/get to know the car as it's normally loaded--but make sure it's tightened down.

For running:
-Walk the course with someone that knows what they're doing-preferably another AudiQ driver, or at least a front wheel driver. Walk it several times--I walk it backwards at least once (you're always setting up for the next curve, but that's for later).
-I suspect you have a 2.7T, so I'll base my comments from my experience using my 98 2.8 (similiar weight/balance)--if street tires, start of with around 3lbs more in the front than the rear, maybe 43/40 to start--have a good gauge and air tank or compressor, full tank of gas.
-Move your seat up to where your wrists easily hang over the top of the wheel, synch up your belt (tighten, then pull out firmly), strap your helmet firmly (95 Snell min.), wear sneckers or track shoes, comfortable pants. Move your rearview mirror up to prevent distractions.
-Try to get someone (experienced) to run with you; ride with others after you run (or you're disqualified).
-Take any caps off your wheels.
-Take shoe polish (white) or tape to form your numbers, take water and a snack.
-Pushing your front tires thru a curve is the slow way--learn to give up speed to go faster (you'll know what I mean after a few runs), power out smoothly--let the Q do its work.
-Keep your eyes out front, and don't worry about hitting cones (a little polish will solve any problem).
-Take your first run slow (85-90%) and learn the track/car.

This is NOT the same as a curvy road or a track--it takes quicker reactions and different skills. Have fun and keep doing it--it'll knock your socks off!!!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My first exposure was as ChrisJB's passenger....try to ride with someone else

You might try riding with someone else to see how they handle the track. This is great fun, and gets you over any apprehension.

On the other hand, being a passenger is a lot more startling and g-filled terror than it is if you are driving. Being in control, and being occupied by the driving act, makes it all go by without much notice. Perhaps this is like when you are in an accident and it doesn't seem awful but is just "watching stuff happen" without any reaction to it.

Either way, riding along is as fun as driving!
Old 11-18-2001, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Going to my first autocross tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions?

be careful on the brakes, as new rotors and pads are expensive.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: Going to my first autocross tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions?