A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

X-post from W&T .Need feedback on track tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-post from W&T .Need feedback on track tires and wheels

Want dedicate a set for track days only.
I have 2 sets of wheels for my 4.2

A) 17" x 8" (audi sport)
B) 18" x 9" (oettinger RZ)

I have a couple of questions.
#1) Assuming the same tire, which set of rims will give the best track performance? My guess is the wider because I can run a wider tire and increase contact patch.

#2) Unfortunately I have to drive to the track 100-200 miles and nowhere to carry 4 track tires.,sometimes in the rain. With this in mind what tires would you recomend. I'm looking at So3, pilots, sp9000, Toyo TS1, and any others.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from track addicts.:-)
Old 11-14-2001, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ignore the SP9000 for track use. A great tire for quiet comfy somewhat sporty driving.

I have Toyo T1 S on the car now and like them as an all around choice. Reasonably good ride, noise OK, decent rain grip and good predictable traction. They fade minimally when they get hot.

We had the Pilots on the 164. Love them but not the price. Noisier than the Toyos and not a primo rain tire, but tons of grip.

S03 I have not driven on enough to gather an opinion.

You're a lucky man to have this decision.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any thoughts on the wheel choice?
Old 11-14-2001, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Weight being the same, go larger - less sidewall flex. Of course the trade-off is a harsher ride,

more expensive tires, more likely to bend a wheel due to reduced sidewall. You might weigh the tires too.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho VictoRacer is a good track tire...

and is DOT legal. Not sure I'd want to drive to/from track on them, as they get covered with rubber chunks as they heat up (and they will!) so ride gets lumpy at times. They also pick up every bit of road debris on the street. Wear rating is 50! Very predictable and wear well on the track. Watch the pressure during events.

Note of warning: on the A6, with it being so heavy, you WILL generate very high tire temps, and see pressures go up a lot on the track. Not sure you want to subject a street tire to this type of abuse, as they are not really designed for it. My track tires get too hot to touch after a hot 20 minute session.

Consider a small tire trailer to tow to track, with a little extra room for tools....lots of guys use these.

Mike
Old 11-15-2001, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've not had any problems driving to and from the track on R compound tires

As you may have noted at the event Monday, I had 008Rs on to and from the event. The wear is minimal and as long as they have at least moderate tread on them you will do fine, particularly with quattro. In fact the Kuhmo race tires (VictoRacer R700s) might be a particularly good choice for you. Although they are a fraction of a second behind the Hoosiers and BFGs R1's in absolute lap times, they have sufficient tread that many SCCA types use them for rain tires. That would cover you for anything on the way to and from.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Question...

why can't you transport tires to the track. I do in my M5. One in the spare tire well, one in the trunk and two in the back seat. You just use plastic bags and covers to protect the interior. If you plan on doing lots of events, get R compounds. They are too much fun.

I have 17x8's on my M5 for the track and I wish they were 17x9's. For a car of that weight, a 235/45/17 is a bit under-tired. I would recommend using your eighteens with Kuhmos or RA1's. You can drive on them for a bit but in their last 1/3 of life they will still be good for the track but not for the street.

Invest in an rechargeable impact wrench for the changes at the track (I have Mitta but recommend Snap On as it will actually remove a torqued bolt, the Mitta only goes to 50lbs or so). An aluminum floor jack is nice but expensive. I just throw my back out everytime putting the stupid Sears jack in the far reaches of my trunk (to get it over the axle).

If you have a separate set of wheels there is no reason to run a standard street tire.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Hoosiers or VictoRacers will be fine; just got SO3s...

and I'm going to be trying them out soon at Sears Point and/or Laguna Seca--but they are not a track tire. I autocross a Cobra Replica extensively, and drive 140 miles round trip to the site--the Hoosiers have gone through a season easily. Autocrossing's a heck of alot harder on tires than open track. I agree with Gerry on the VictoRacers--used by M3 and S4 drivers at our events.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Duh...great idea, your right. I was comming up one tire short for space.

I guess you could use the spare tire well for a tire. :-) I think I sell the new stock Audi sport wheels with the p6000s, Buy SSR 17" x 9" and go with the RA1s. Who sells Toyos and SSRs?