A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ARRGH! Bad 1st Night with A6 Avant - Fuel System Learning Curve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually this is a good time of year to cover that topic . . .

In my experience you need to do the following:

1. Connect cables to host vehicle.

2. Place key into ignition

3. Turn to on (detent just prior to cranking)

4. Sit for a minimum of two minutes.

5. Turn off key and remove (you probably don't really need to take it out but I have anyway).

6. Turn key and crank engine.

It should start fairly quickly. In my experience with two OEM dead battery incidents the car would not start if you tried to turn it over before waiting the requisite couple of minutes. It's fairly intuitive however. You can hear and see indications that systems are coming alive. Clicks, hums, etc. .

Others may have had different experiences but this was my experience. My point about it being a good time of year was related to the cold weather that many of us experience. If you leave your car while traveling for more than five days you need to be sure that you are prepared for a dead battery situation. Park and make arrangements accordingly the first time you leave the car for an extended period.

Yes, Audi Roadside works but if you fly in at 7:00 p.m. on a Friday night you will be in for a long wait. You are better off finding out if the airport offers a free jump service or carry a jump pack in your trunk. Griots has them I am sure.

Brian
Old 11-14-2001, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding the learning curve, I don't think that is the problem.

I have seen several S4 owners swap ECUs and the engine always starts right up with a perfect idle. I doubt very much that the default ECU settings are so bad that the engine stalls.

Have you driven the car for at least one 30 minute stretch in dry weather? This should dry out the engine compartment and at least eliminate the possibility that the problems are due to water shorting out some electronics.

Does the car feel/sound normal under moderate and full throttle?

In any case it sounds like something that the dealer should fix without you having to waste your time on it further. Hopefully the tech will look deeper rather than just saying that "it sounds fine to me."