A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

vehicle takes more then five cranks to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by werick
Ight have replaced pump, fpr, made sure there was fuel pressure but havent checked the relay and still having these issues leads me to believe its a vac leak in the main air supply it even makes a unneccessary noise.. does anyone have a clue what im talking about and can help out
Have you considered the TSB?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
My instructor insisted i try to prim the vehicle because it is gettong lack of gas i cant remwmber if he said it was the relay or it was the fuel pump i got that might not have the reg vavle installed in it that is causing the no start right away...
But since i have been priming it and starting the vehivle periodically through the night it start but sometimes takes the more cranks think that has to due with how cold it is outaide as well....
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wake96c4
My A6 had a similar problem when I first purchased it in September, the dealer fixed me up.

It would start then immediately die, then I'd have to crank the engine for quite a few seconds on the second attempt to get it running and it would run poorly for the first 10 or so seconds.

They told me that the fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter, they simply changed the fuel filter for me and I haven't had a problem with problem starts since.
Guess for once the dealership boys werent tryn to get over going to have to get a folter and see if that will corrwct my issue completly
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Warm out or warm car, no problem. Below 25 = many cranks. Did the injector cleaner in high concentration and nothing. Hope you fix it, I'm leaning towards the fuel filter too. I will be getting one in soon. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

okay so this is something i didnt expect.. i was running low on radiator fluid do i decided to change it out cause i wasnt sure what type the previous owner used.. i went to napa and the said prestone extended life is compatiable so i got two gallons.. i drained it out and filled the radiator to the max. drove home and went to a couple places in the next few days, checked fluid it was low so filled it again.. ever since it starts up. needless to say that the radiator fluid was too watered down causeing the temp sense to send a mess.... who would have thought!! hope this can help someone
Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by werick
okay so this is something i didnt expect.. i was running low on radiator fluid do i decided to change it out cause i wasnt sure what type the previous owner used.. i went to napa and the said prestone extended life is compatiable so i got two gallons.. i drained it out and filled the radiator to the max. drove home and went to a couple places in the next few days, checked fluid it was low so filled it again.. ever since it starts up. needless to say that the radiator fluid was too watered down causeing the temp sense to send a mess.... who would have thought!! hope this can help someone
That is strange, u should have gotten a low coolant light before anything but if the car is fixed then cheers.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fuel Filter Change & Throttle Body Cleaning Update

This past weekend I cleaned the throttle body, which BTW it was gunky as hell, but my troubles continue. I also changed the fuel filter which was not too bad but did have some dirt in it. Pump is not throwing any codes so now I think I will go for measuring the Hi & Lo fuel rail pressures and go from there.

Last edited by jujuC6; 02-11-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had the same issue for a while. Changed the fuel filter and changed the coolant temp sensor.....nothing helped so far.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cebo0650
I've had the same issue for a while. Changed the fuel filter and changed the coolant temp sensor.....nothing helped so far.
I've said this in another long thread about this issue... the long crank most likely has to do with the high pressure coming up. The electric fuel pump in these cars only transports the fuel to the engine, it is very low pressure. Then the mechanical pump, which is camshaft driven, gets the fuel up to several hundred psi for the injectors to work with. The issue is that the mechanical piston pump makes 3 pumps per camshaft revolution so only 1.5 pumps per engine revolution. That is why it takes a couple cranks to get the pressure up. Now, if the high pressure fuel system would be very tight, pressure would be maintained from the last run. But the pump itself could be draining back to the low pressure side and there is also a high pressure relief that could be doing the same thing. Long story short, if your car takes aeveral cranks to start and then you stop it and then crankit and it starts right away, then leave it alone. You could use vag com to read the high pressure fuel sensor and graph the pressyre pressure as the car is starting if you don't believe me. I have this going on in my 3.2 and I went through thw whole engine, inclyding cleaning all the carbon deposits. Other than the several crank start after sitting for a day, the engine runs great.