A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Valve cover DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

The 3.2 fsi has no arc's on the VCG's. The valve covers seal on a cam girdle which is essentially a frame to support the cams. No need for silicon. The key tool is a small socket with a low profile T-20 bit to get at the bolt on the lower driver's side front corner. Mouthful, it is under the spark plug wires. 9nm for the bolts. Make certain the washers still have some flex to them.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by das60
The 3.2 fsi has no arc's on the VCG's.
...funny, in my head I was thinking, where these half moon shapes people posted about... they are completely flat.
The following users liked this post:
das60 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying that you have not had any oil leaks from the valve covers in spite of (mostly) reusing the original valve cover bolts? I'm guessing the engineers at Audi designed the bolts with a rubber grommet to accommodate thermal expansion and contraction as the engine heats up and cools down repeatedly. Rubber parts generally shrink and harden over time from heat, which diminishes its elasticity. I would just replace them without question were it not for their high cost.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I removed my valve covers twice. The first time was to replace the top gaskets. The second time was to replace the bottom gaskets. The first time I did not worry about the valve cover bolts. The second time I ordered 4 replacement bolts because I stripped 2 of them bolts during the first job. When I compared the new bolt to the old bolt, there was no difference. The kind of plastic washer used is a hard one that feels like cut truck tire rubber. I'd say there's no need to replace them. Replace only the ones you strip the head of. Here is how I did mine: https://youtu.be/vVM1uzd1k44
Follow up question posted above
Old 08-05-2020, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

I have reused my bolts, once at about 70k miles and a second time at 134k miles. I am now at 156k miles with no issues. 9nm is the torque and the grommets seemed flexible at 132k miles. For heavens sake, when you are in there, replace the rubber o-rings on the 4 cam solenoids. They are $0.50 each and I remain convinced that the life of the timing chain tensioner is directly related to the oil feed through these solenoids.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

How can it leak from the bolts, the gasket goes completely around the bolt
kelisko (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by das60
I have reused my bolts, once at about 70k miles and a second time at 134k miles. I am now at 156k miles with no issues. 9nm is the torque and the grommets seemed flexible at 132k miles. For heavens sake, when you are in there, replace the rubber o-rings on the 4 cam solenoids. They are $0.50 each and I remain convinced that the life of the timing chain tensioner is directly related to the oil feed through these solenoids.
Thanks very much, das60 for your reply and esp for the tip about the cam solenoid o-rings!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hhegedus
Are you saying that you have not had any oil leaks from the valve covers in spite of (mostly) reusing the original valve cover bolts? I'm guessing the engineers at Audi designed the bolts with a rubber grommet to accommodate thermal expansion and contraction as the engine heats up and cools down repeatedly. Rubber parts generally shrink and harden over time from heat, which diminishes its elasticity. I would just replace them without question were it not for their high cost.
Yes, no oil leaks and it's been years since my first job and months since my second job. My engine bay has never been dryer.

Like Sallad said above, the valve cover gaskets already have seals for the bolts so that is covered. And again, the washer is not just rubber. It is a harder material resembling truck tire material. I believe they integrated it because the valve covers are plastic. These would prevent the bolts from sitting directly on the plastic cover which could cause cracking when torqued down.

Replacing them wouldn't hurt. It's just not necessary if the heads aren't stripped.

Last edited by kelisko; 08-06-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Sallad (08-06-2020)
Old 01-17-2023, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hhegedus
Thanks very much, das60 for your reply and esp for the tip about the cam solenoid o-rings!
Can someone please guide me what is the part number or aftermarket O-rings I can buy to replace these o-rings? Audi dealer wants $27 for each o-ring!!! There are two solenoid on each bank. I need four of them. the price seems outrageous to me.
My Vehicle, 2012 Audi Q5 with 3.2l FSI engine, 6 sp automatic , S-line Quadro.

Thanks Guys.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by theteju
Can someone please guide me what is the part number or aftermarket O-rings I can buy to replace these o-rings? Audi dealer wants $27 for each o-ring!!! There are two solenoid on each bank. I need four of them. the price seems outrageous to me.
My Vehicle, 2012 Audi Q5 with 3.2l FSI engine, 6 sp automatic , S-line Quadro.

Thanks Guys.
@theteju have you looked at sourcing them from: Search Results | Genuine Audi Parts

Quick Reply: Valve cover DIY?