A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

V1 Hardwire Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
And final question how do you know which wire to splice?
RUH-ROH...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by triplecore

My friend did the similar in his X5 which is why I ask.

Would he be available to "look over your shoulder" and provide the assist?

So you just used the existing splice that comes with the v1 when you order right?

Yes, that's all you need. You are making just 2 connections: hot and ground

And just to check you don't lose access of home link right?

Correct. The little quik-tap bites thru the wire insulation to make a connection.

And final question how do you know which wire to splice?

That's what I can't answer on the A6, I don't know. There are 5 leads going into the HomeLink module. I don't know which is the switched hot lead. That's the one you want. If you have a VOM, it would be easy to confirm which lead you will tap into. Someone here with the wiring diagram should be able to tell you which wire (color coding of jacket insulation) is the correct one.

I did not wire up our A6 via overhead. It's done the Mickey-mouse route along the A-pillar cover. I never invested the time trying to figure out how to get into that overhead console until I learned how e-z it was on the A4.

Triple, my general philosophy when working on cars: Don't start unless you are fairly confident that you can complete the task without damaging or disabling the car
Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
That's what I can't answer on the A6, I don't know. There are 5 leads going into the HomeLink module. I don't know which is the switched hot lead. That's the one you want. If you have a VOM, it would be easy to confirm which lead you will tap into. Someone here with the wiring diagram should be able to tell you which wire (color coding of jacket insulation) is the correct one.

I did not wire up our A6 via overhead. It's done the Mickey-mouse route along the A-pillar cover. I never invested the time trying to figure out how to get into that overhead console until I learned how e-z it was on the A4.

Triple, my general philosophy when working on cars: Don't start unless you are fairly confident that you can complete the task without damaging or disabling the car
thanks very much the reply. I understand. I think i will get a VOM to be safe and ask around for a wiring diagram.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have the VOM, you won't need a wiring diagram.

I think you can get a cheapie VOM at Radio Shack for $15 (??) Or bug somebody in the area to help you out

BTW, U-Do-It Electronics in Needham will have all this stuff.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have the VOM, you won't need a wiring diagram.

I think you can get a cheapie VOM at Radio Shack for $15 (??) Or bug somebody in the area to help you out

BTW, U-Do-It Electronics in Needham will have all this stuff.
great. Ill go out and buy one if no one replies to my wiring diagram post by the time the v1 arrives.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well it didn't work. So I connected the black like in the picture I uploaded. I am sure I got that part right.

For the red wire i spliced the mini fuse with the blue clip that came with the v1. That didn't work so I cut off the end of red wire off then end of the v1 and plugged it into the blue hole. That didn't work with so I thought it was a bad connection. So I cut off the red end of the mini fuse and tied them together. That didn't work either. Does anyone know what I did wrong. Also do I need order a new mini fuse? And V1 Hardwire cable? I used fuse 20 the heated washer jets. Is it possible that port doesn't even work?

Thanks

sorry for the pictures upside down. there right side up on my computer. So i tried uploading them upside and they stayed upside down. guess it just aint my lucky day.
Attached Images    

Last edited by triplecore; 02-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nevermind it works. I used the home link fuse. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

RUH-ROH...
+1
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm always going to do the overhead route when possible. I'm not a big fan of things dangling from the fuse box, and I don't care for the idea of running wires adjacent to panels where an air bag is installed Plus, I believe the overhead installation in these cars is as simple as any I've ever done.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm just getting ready to do this job...

The use of the V1 remote monitor requires some dangling and stuff, so it's the fusebox as a source for me.