A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Used A6 Avant Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used A6 Avant Advice

Dear AudiWorld,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 A6 Avant with almost 130,000 miles on the odometer. I recently totaled my 1999 A6 quattro and it had over 270,000 miles on the clock. I've owned that car since 2005 and it only had 47,000 miles when I bought it. With that car I changed the timing belt twice. Multiple control arms, three of the four wheel bearings (had to be pressed out. Not easy to do), both front axles, front and rear shocks, alternator twice, and probably more I'm forgetting. The CARFAX looks fairly clean. All service done at Audi dealership until July 2015 and 94,142 miles. So I don't know any history for the last 3 years and 35,000 miles.

I believe this is the first year Audi stopped using a timing belt and went with a chain. I don't know what kind of service needs to be done to keep it working properly.

Can you tell me want kind of maintenance issues will I be running into if I buy this car? Specifically, the engine and suspension?

Thank you always AudiWorld!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

No timing belt, you have a chain. But you should inspect the chain tensioners, if possible. Also, all the usual maintenance item's: suspension, control arms, struts, etc...Wear and tear and lack of maintenance on these items can become very expensive, especially if your in an environment which tends to be harsher.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple other things! My 1st C6. '06 w/180K had both front wheel bearings replaced between 160-175K, also replace AC comp/drier at 200K and alternator & 2 cam sensors. Those were main non-maintenance items before I sold it at 220K
My wife's '07 Avant purchased with 115K has required high-pressure fuel pump, air bag crash sensor, intake manifold widgets (indy installed cleaned used unit), now at 165K
My '08 Avant purchased w/127K has required front suspension links, both front wheel bearings and both front door lock actuators, now 178K
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

rxp, I think you go into the purchase understanding all sorts of things may be needed. We've got a 2006 wagon with 141k miles - - had been a great car. However, keep in mind the oil leaks, carboning-up of the intake paths and all the other stuff related to the suspension, struts...all of it.

We have an annual state inspection and I know in the not too distant future that they're going to fail the car for various reasons even though the car appears very clean. At that point, we'll retire the car as repair costs will (vastly) exceed the value of the car.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Here's my experience with a 2006 A6 Avant, which has the adaptive air suspension option. I purchased this Audi off a 3-year lease in September 2008 with 26,378 miles - it now has ~89,400 miles. In the 63K miles of ownership over nearly 10 years, I've obviously had to replace the expected normal maintenance items, e.g., brake pads/rotors, filters, oil, TPMS sensors, spark plugs, rear shock absorbers. But I also had to replace unexpectedly a Bank 1 lower intake manifold @ 80K miles, the right front wheel bearing at 76K miles (first wheel bearing replacement on any of the 7 VAG cars I've owned to date), and the still-to-be replaced defective ECM due to the PITA DTC P2404 EVAP issue. With the 2008 A6 Avant with that many miles, I would also expect to see embrittled plastic vacuum lines, headlight wiring, and the plastic corrugated breather lines off the valve covers. Depending on how and where it was driven, the front struts and rear shock absorbers may also need replacement. Of coarse, if the current and previous owner(s) have kept up the maintenance, then these items may have already been addressed. For the carbon build-up issue on the intake manifold/valves, I did a cleaning when I replace the lower intake manifold, followed by a Seaform treatment immediately prior to oil/filter service (once a year). With the C6 platform, there are also have been a number of reports about the failed immodbilzer module on the steering column. If this module fails, the official Audi AG repair is to replace the complete steering column for a low cost of over $2.0K. I don't know what the frequency of this module failure is. However, there is a work-around that a company repair the module for $400 should this occur. I have also seen that this module fails on the Q7 model as well.

In spite of the issues I have experienced, I still enjoy the pleasure of driving the A6 Avant. So, if you decide to go ahead with the purchase of the Avant, just be aware of these items, as well as what the uberwagn, raj99, and stuffinder have noted. If you have good DIY capabilities and VCDS, you can minimize the cost of ownership when and if things start failing.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is by hearing a knocking sound the only way to check the tensioners?

Originally Posted by raj99
No timing belt, you have a chain. But you should inspect the chain tensioners, if possible. Also, all the usual maintenance item's: suspension, control arms, struts, etc...Wear and tear and lack of maintenance on these items can become very expensive, especially if your in an environment which tends to be harsher.
Without breaking the motor down, is there another way to check the Chain tensioners? All I have seen and read says to listen for a clicking sound on a cold startup. I've seen videos showing the wear on the teeth of the tensioner after it's removed, but no way to check without listening for the clicking starting. Also, I think I remember reading online somewhere the tensioners almost always fail around 135,000 miles.

According to what I read, the lifespan may be increased by maintaining proper oil levels and changing the oil at regular service intervals. Is that true?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

In addition to the clicking sound, you can check the relative condition of the upper tensioners with VCDS in Block 093 under Basic Settings. If the angle difference between the intake and exhaust in either Bank 1 (passenger's side) or Bank 2 (driver's side) exceeds ~8 degrees, then the upper tensioners are starting to fail, and should be replaced. For example, I checked the values today in my 3.2L V6 with 89,579 miles. Bank 1 values were -1.1 and 1.1 (sum = 0), and Bank 2 values were 1.8 and 2.4 (sum = 4.2). These values have been steady for some time, so I don't have any issues yet.

Audi specifies that oil must meet standard VW 502 000 (or the newer VW 505 000) for their engines. In my area, the only oil I find that meets this standard is Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Formula synthetic, so that is what I have been using since I purchased the car. I also change the oil/filter within the 10K/1-year maintainace interval. In my case, I reach the 1-yr limit in about 6.5K miles, so I have never changed it at the 10K mileage point. So, using the proper oil and changing as Audi specifies certainly should help the life of the upper tensioners. However, there is no definitive proof that one can do any preventative maintenance to prevent the failure of these tensioners, which is a weak design component in the chain drive system.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

"A couple other things! My 1st C6. '06 w/180K had both front wheel bearings replaced between 160-175K, also replace AC comp/drier at 200K and alternator & 2 cam sensors. Those were main non-maintenance items before I sold it at 220K
My wife's '07 Avant purchased with 115K has required high-pressure fuel pump, air bag crash sensor, intake manifold widgets (indy installed cleaned used unit), now at 165K
My '08 Avant purchased w/127K has required front suspension links, both front wheel bearings and both front door lock actuators, now 178K"

three C6 avants in the family... one word for you sir: "respect".

Last edited by beep-beep; 06-03-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
"

three C6 avants in the family... one word for you sir: "respect".
Well, just two now! I kinda put my "toe in the water" w/'06 w/180K, bought it cheap $5k, figuring I'd have to throw a bunch of money & parts at it! Since it worked out pretty well I bought the '07 w/114K for $11k for my wife to replace her POS '99 A6 Avant! That 2.8 always leaked & plastic bits were breaking, ctrl arms were crap! I'd bough it from the estate of a rich lady in W Palm Beach who used it as her "boat car" back and forth to her Marlin boat! She uesed her Bentley for most stuff! Thought I had a winner as it only had 40K. Dealer stamps through warrantee then she must have taken to EArl's around the corner. Major PITA! The '07 still doing good at 165K, just ordered new rear brakes from emiparts.com, Textar pads & Zimmerman rotors.

The '08 I bought a little over two years ago w/127K for $12K Sline Prestige w/uber rare sport seats. Now at 178K.
These cars aren't as much fun as my chipped '95.5 S6 Avant but more comfortable & easier on my knees & ears!