A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Transmission problem '05 A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, im willing to help. just got to find some time that we are both avaialble. i wont be around from thursday night to monday. so even the rest of this week may be difficult.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newa6er and 05whtaudia6, I think you guys are both in the same area but neither of you are having problems. My car is the one with issues but it is in GA.

AutoZone just scanned it today... misfire reading on #3 cyl. Good news. Probably something simple to fix, not the timing chain. Although, I would like to know how to tell if/when the chain needs to be replaced or is the sentiment to just drive it until the chain guides fail?

I'll order order a Vag-Com now so I can scan and see what more the Vag-Com can tell me.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will find an ignition coil has failed. Easy to test: Swap with a different coil, see if the misfire follows it. Or, just replace that coil.

-Darryl

Originally Posted by wtmmm
newa6er and 05whtaudia6, I think you guys are both in the same area but neither of you are having problems. My car is the one with issues but it is in GA.

AutoZone just scanned it today... misfire reading on #3 cyl. Good news. Probably something simple to fix, not the timing chain. Although, I would like to know how to tell if/when the chain needs to be replaced or is the sentiment to just drive it until the chain guides fail?

I'll order order a Vag-Com now so I can scan and see what more the Vag-Com can tell me.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Darryl. I've got two coils on the way to me tomorrow. I hope to replace one and have a spare in case another one goes in the future.

The dealer says my car had the entire coil pack replaced on a campaign before I bought the car. The parts supplier mentioned that Audi had problems with the coils initially and even after the replacement campaign. Are there several different versions of coils? Is it likely that the other coils will start to fail?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I scanned the car and got two readings for Low Pressure Fuel Sensor and Cyl 4 Misfire. I replaced the Cyl 4 coil pack, reset the codes and scanned again to find no errors.

All seemed well, then later in the day I got the car up to 4,500 rpm and it immediately started to misfire again. I drove about a mile then stopped and turned it off. When I started it up again, no more misfires. When I got home, I scanned it again to see the same two reading from before.

Any ideas why it would misfire with a brand new ignition coil?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another question... does everyone recommend replacing all ignition coils together or just as they go out? Can I expect other coils to start failing soon? The dealer says all coils were replaced in a campaign before I bought it but that was probably 6 yrs ago.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Another question... does everyone recommend replacing all ignition coils together or just as they go out? Can I expect other coils to start failing soon? The dealer says all coils were replaced in a campaign before I bought it but that was probably 6 yrs ago.
I had all of my coil packs replaced at 100k as a preventive measure.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I scanned the car and got two readings for Low Pressure Fuel Sensor and Cyl 4 Misfire. I replaced the Cyl 4 coil pack, reset the codes and scanned again to find no errors.

All seemed well, then later in the day I got the car up to 4,500 rpm and it immediately started to misfire again. I drove about a mile then stopped and turned it off. When I started it up again, no more misfires. When I got home, I scanned it again to see the same two reading from before.

Any ideas why it would misfire with a brand new ignition coil?
what is the exact fuel pressure code?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
what is the exact fuel pressure code?
18975 Low Pressure Fuel Sensor Condition 2
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not Transmission problem, actually an ignition and/or injector problem

18975 Low Pressure Fuel Sensor Condition 2
KevinGary, thanks for your input on on my thread which is obviously incorrectly named. I just put more information on an older thread titled "Please Help with Codes !!!" I wonder if you would mind reading it and seeing if this makes any sense to you. I'm starting to think that the car has either a bad sensor or an injector problem.

Whatever it is, I also wonder if it may have been caused by the valve cleaning job that the dealer performed recently to solve another problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem '05 A6