A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait a minute...i believe the C6 A6 has a sealed transmission and don't need a "flush". Someone correct me here, but I don't believe tranny oil is listed in our scheduled maintenance manual
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had mine changed at 50K and will do it again around 100K. The shop used BG equipment to perform a flush type change (tap into the cooler lines). The final level tweaking was done using their VAC-COM and the Audi procedure. Cost was a little under 300. No problems after 10K miles, and maybe it shifts smoother after but I can’t say for sure. I did have the problem of jumping RPM when coasting with a cold transmission and it was much better after the fluid change. I almost though it went away until it got colder out.

I saw the fluid that came out and it looked terrible (brown and muddy). It did not feel slick when I rubbed it between my fingers. Lifetime fluid means there will be fluid in the transmission when it breaks, not that the fluid will not be a contributing factor to the transmission breaking. Just my 2 cents, I am sure the transmission could drop out of my car tomorrow.

Tony
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'll just take it to the dealer and let them do it along with a coolant flush.

Do you guys think at 65k I should even bother (not trying to f^ck anything up) even though the car is under warranty.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

For reference, my audi indy quoted me around $500 for a trans flush.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Only the CVT ATF is listed in the maintenance schedule to be changed at 35K/75K miles. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't change the ATF because the fluid does degrade over time/mileage due to heat, contamination, etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by freefaller25
I had mine changed at 50K and will do it again around 100K. The shop used BG equipment to perform a flush type change (tap into the cooler lines). The final level tweaking was done using their VAC-COM and the Audi procedure. Cost was a little under 300. No problems after 10K miles, and maybe it shifts smoother after but I can’t say for sure. I did have the problem of jumping RPM when coasting with a cold transmission and it was much better after the fluid change. I almost though it went away until it got colder out.

I saw the fluid that came out and it looked terrible (brown and muddy). It did not feel slick when I rubbed it between my fingers. Lifetime fluid means there will be fluid in the transmission when it breaks, not that the fluid will not be a contributing factor to the transmission breaking. Just my 2 cents, I am sure the transmission could drop out of my car tomorrow.

Tony
Little under $300 to flush the transmission fluid in you 2006 A6 Avant? What kind of ATF did they use? To flush your A6 transmission properly, they need to use at least 10 quarts of ATF. The Audi gold ATF for your car is around $30/quart, blue AFT is above $80/quart.
Drain and refill is around 5 quarts.

Last edited by oaktreelimb; 01-29-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I change it every 100k
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
I too feel like it should be done. Especially after seeing how so many of the C5's had old tranny fluid that looked like metallic paint.

Just don't know if I should do it myself or not. My biggest concern would be the fill (you have to get the temp right for an accurate fill). Also bluaparts.com doesn't sell kits for the C6. I'm wondering why.

I guess I'll just do some more research before I decide whether or not to do it myself or take it to the dealer.
I'm still not convinced I needed the $80qt blue but I did the change anyway at 41K simply because I'd read the first change is the most important on a *new hydraulic system but I wish I'd had the Audi shop save a vile of it for independent testing. Anyway..here's a ZF link that might be helpful, I've been tempted to ask them about what compatible full syn fluids can be used. My change used about double the fluid for a full clean flush so be prepared...thank goodness it was a TSB that got under the wire. The next change say at 100k might be a completely different fluid and transmission shop.
Does anyone have the exact ZF tiptronic 6-sp model #?
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/impo...ent/R___D.html
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mystrodo
Does anyone have the exact ZF tiptronic 6-sp model #?
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/impo...ent/R___D.html
Mystrodo,
My 06 A6 3.2 Quattro has ZF6HP19A

I was seriously thinking about replacing transmission fluid around 55K but decided not to do it because I am too cheap to spend $1,000 every 50k to 60k. I rather not change the fluid than use non-OEM fluid.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audi bug
Mystrodo,
My 06 A6 3.2 Quattro has ZF6HP19A

I was seriously thinking about replacing transmission fluid around 55K but decided not to do it because I am too cheap to spend $1,000 every 50k to 60k. I rather not change the fluid than use non-OEM fluid.
Here's a slow PDF regarding OEM ZF Fluid..looks like LifeguardFluid6 Plus for the ZF6HP19A.
http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i..._PC_102307.pdf
I've read LG6Plus is a relabled Pentosin brand

If you ever deside to do the change here's a writeup..BMW but basically the same procedure we've got posted here somewhere:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/8812...eb7a78115c22f5

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?