A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Transmision Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmision Fluid

Anyone do a trans fluid change yet? If so, was it straightforward? Did you use vag to check the temp for proper filling? Any bolt/screws that maybe difficult to remove?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeaaahhh... we're gonna get a DIY writeup on tranny fluid change soon!!!

racer, I've only seen youtube videos on transmission fluid change, no other instructions to share. I'll also check on bentley to see if there is anything on this posted - will upload incase I find anything.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
Yeaaahhh... we're gonna get a DIY writeup on tranny fluid change soon!!!

racer, I've only seen youtube videos on transmission fluid change, no other instructions to share. I'll also check on bentley to see if there is anything on this posted - will upload incase I find anything.
Bentley's directions seem pretty simple believe it or not. Just not sure if I want to mess with it yet...maybe worth the 300-500 to let audi do it. I'm doing rear pads tomorrow and I'll be snooping around under the car to see if i want to give it go or not.

Gotta get the tools and info first as I hear there are two types of fluid (one that's 70/qt, ouch).
Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turkeybaster115: ZF LifeGuard transmission headsup

Originally Posted by r1racer
Gotta get the tools and info first as I hear there are two types of fluid (one that's 70/qt, ouch).
ZF's Lifeguard 6 and 6+ depends on your ZF model..excellent write up by Turkeybaster115 here recently, a must read, check out the MerconIII (I think).
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...4#post23944914

also I think they also did a ZF sw update if you get it done by Audi.

Once every 70K..I just figured it was the price of that great triptronic

Last edited by mystrodo; 05-14-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all you can use the motor craft sp fluid if you want the OEM stuff, but there are also several others that will work just fine. I used Pentosin ATF 1 which is a VERY good fluid. Its approved for extended oil drain intervals for VIOTH DIWA bus transmissions in europe! You can also use:

1. Amsoil universal ATF
2. Royal Purple ATF
3. Castrol multi vehicle import ATF

Get as much fluid as you can out. I took out 7 liters, and will try and take out much more next time. 9 total in the transmission. The fluid was extremely degraded at 40K miles, even more so than my 335I, which has more HP/TQ. My guess is the Quattro is to blame. Also DO NOT forget to drain and fill the F/R differential, and transfer case. 4 liters total. I used lubromoly 75W 90.

Good luck guys.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I think I'll give it go in a couple weeks.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I'm a new (to me) Audi owner with an ATF question and figured I'd tack onto an existing thread instead of adding yet another ATF fluid thread.

With all that out of the way. I recently purchased a 2005 A 3.2 Q with 66000 miles. I am not a believer in the lifetime transmission fluid unless you want to the lifetime to be once the warranty runs out. I don't believe the ATF was ever changed and I've been through the magic trans fluid before with my Mercedes. I also ordered a VAGCOM already since I'm a DIY guy who loves the mechanicals of cars.

I have done quite a bit of searching on ATF for these cars and it seems like there are several alternatives to the Audi $75/quart ZF fluid. I have used Amsoil and Redline on other vehicles/motorcycles in the past and really like their products. It looks like Amsoil does not recommend any of their ATF products for this car, while Redline recommends their multi vehicle ATF and says it meet VM specs.

I also see that the only way to get all of the fluid out is with a flush machine and that you can't drain the torque converter.

I did not see any information on experiences with mixing something like Redline with the magic ZF fluid.

So my question is: Does anyone have any long-ish term experience running with mixed fluid or is that just a bad idea from the start and I should just find ZF Lifeguard?

I am going to try to drain a bit this weekend to see what's in there (color and smell).
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your transmission code? So you use the correct ATF.
Get that info from the dealer with vin#.
Ask for the transmission code and the fluid.

Tell us more info about your ride.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I was going to do that today, but didn't want to deal with the traffic in/out. Luckily the dealer is on my way to work, si I'll stop in next week. I've read about the different fluids based on the software version of the trans (still hard for me to believe since I'm a software engineer).

It's a 2005 with ~66k miles. Full Audi service history from new so it's had all the MMI updates, coil packs replaced by the TSB 2 years ago. Got it for under 15k, it was a trade-in on a smaller Acura sedan. It's really immaculate.

I pulled the belly pan, no sign of any leaks. No sign of anything at the diffs either. It does not have the nav system, which is fine with me. I would like t have bluetooth integration, but for the price I got, hard to complain.

I only drive ~8k miles a year. I ride a motorcycle as often as possible and drive my Jeep Wrangler a lot in the summer. This is mostly for those ridiculously hot/humid Northern VA summers and cold non-snow winter days.

Here's the ad from the dealer. Not sure how long it will still be active: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/3724119176.html

Love the car. I'm coming from a C-class Mercedes. An 18 year old turned in front of me in the middle of an intersection. No where for me to go. Luckily a policeman was at the intersection and saw everything.

Car has a few dings, but it's a 2005 so that's to be expected.

I know my way around mechanicals pretty well. Replaced a head gasket on my Mercedes, do my own valves on my Triumph motorcycle (1998 Triumph Sprint Sport). Have rebuilt MG and Triumph engines and gearboxes (with some success). The Audi is a bit intimidating, but it's a puzzle just like any other car.

I'm a software engineer, so it's actually the electronics that scare me the most. Solder breaks, circuit boards crack etc.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

My advice on this is don't mess with snake oils and mixing and matching fluid... just get the ZF fluid that appropriate for your transmission and be done with it. I recently put the zf lifeguard 8 in mine and you can buy the stuff online from ctc for a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Transmision Fluid