A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tranny confused when stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny confused when stopping?

Just picked up an 06 A6 Avant. When coming to a stop sign, it feels like the trans is slow getting down to 1st gear. If I don't wait stopped for a second or two, I either get no initial response when first pressing the accelerator or it jumps down to 1st (rather hard I'd say) and then goes. I had this problem with my 03 but only after about 180K on the clock. Only 75K on this, but my first 6 spd automatic. Happens whether cold or hot. Tranny flush maybe?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

At your mileage, it would be a good idea to do a tranny 'drain and refill' NOT a flush. Since ZF, the manufacturer of the actual transmission, recommends that this be done every 60k miles

Here's the BEST post I've seen on the job: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816950

A couple of things to remember:

1 - use the correct fluid for you tranny (don't skimp on this - ZF)
2 - having a vag-com is required
3 - a lift is VERY VERY helpful
4 - remember to top-up as you turn on the engine and go through the gears

If you don't want to do the job yourself, which I don't blame you, make sure whomever does it knows a thing or to about Audis/VW cars and has a vag.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
At your mileage, it would be a good idea to do a tranny 'drain and refill' NOT a flush. Since ZF, the manufacturer of the actual transmission, recommends that this be done every 60k miles

Here's the BEST post I've seen on the job: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816950

A couple of things to remember:

1 - use the correct fluid for you tranny (don't skimp on this - ZF)
2 - having a vag-com is required
3 - a lift is VERY VERY helpful
4 - remember to top-up as you turn on the engine and go through the gears

If you don't want to do the job yourself, which I don't blame you, make sure whomever does it knows a thing or to about Audis/VW cars and has a vag.

Good luck
Thanks raj99. I have VCDS and access to a lift, but I also have a great indy. Comment about the fill plug (which I didn't see in the pics) was enough to make me lean to having my independent do it
Thanks
AJG
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM

raj99, I'm guessing you're not in the Mercon SP crowd? Just wondering. I'm got a high mileage C6 A6 and considering the flush with Mercon based on everything I've read.

(OP, if you do some search you'll find that some people think Ford Mercon SP to be the same as ZF, only about 90% less expensive. However, it's impossible to know if they really ARE the same, although Blackstone says they're virtually identical and they're made in the same plant)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes you are correct I decided to go with OE fluid for my tranny. I did look into Mercon, but the fluid my car had in it was ZF Lifegaurd 8 and the fact was that I got the fluid for about $23/liter and needed 5 liters of it...well it wasn't worth the risk.

From what I've read the Mercon seems to be compatible with the ZF6, but I didn't read anywhere which definitively stated that it was an alternative for the ZF8. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I look at things over the long haul and the fact is that you only change tranny fluid perhaps every 5 or so years. If saving the $100 or so bucks on the tranny fluid is worth it to you, that's your choice. I just decided that amortized over the course years, that getting the OE fluid was my preferential choice.

BTW, I bought the fluid from here: http://www.thectsc.com/catalog/6_speed-58.html

good luck

Originally Posted by Catamount90
raj99, I'm guessing you're not in the Mercon SP crowd? Just wondering. I'm got a high mileage C6 A6 and considering the flush with Mercon based on everything I've read.

(OP, if you do some search you'll find that some people think Ford Mercon SP to be the same as ZF, only about 90% less expensive. However, it's impossible to know if they really ARE the same, although Blackstone says they're virtually identical and they're made in the same plant)

Last edited by raj99; 10-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

I agree with Raj. I have had the ATF changed 3 times so far and have always used OEM fluid.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

while is sounds like tranny is not shifting smooth, I think the cause of your problem is different.

physically clean your throttle body and then using VAGCOM, do a throttl adaptive reset, link below for directions

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24272830
Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
while is sounds like tranny is not shifting smooth, I think the cause of your problem is different.

physically clean your throttle body and then using VAGCOM, do a throttl adaptive reset, link below for directions

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24272830
Performed throttle adaptation but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

change the tranny fluid sooner vs. later...see if that remedies the issue.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
change the tranny fluid sooner vs. later...see if that remedies the issue.
This weekend I hope.

Quick Reply: Tranny confused when stopping?