A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tires Tires Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no doubt that dedicated snow tires would be better. OP said he wanted all seasons. The DWS have performed better in the snow than any "all season" tire I've ever had.

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
Respectfully, for those of you who are driving the DWS in the snow and think they are great...
Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic1
I have no doubt that dedicated snow tires would be better. OP said he wanted all seasons. The DWS have performed better in the snow than any "all season" tire I've ever had.
Just because he's asking for all season recommendations doesn't mean that's what we should suggest. He should get to the issue of why he goes through tires, and should know that he can't just buy rears.

If he lives in a snowy region, he really should consider dedicated winter tires. I've driven a number of quattros with both all season and winter tires, and I can tell you that the difference is night and day. See one of the many winter tire threads about proper sizing. (Narrow is better).

If you don't run Nokian or similar winters, you are truly missing out on the magic of Quattro in the winter.

I'll also put in a plug for the NAA Winter Driving School in New Hampshire. My son says that the training we received there, along with the winter tires on his Quattro, helped him to avoid multiple nasty winter incidents.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
J

If you don't run Nokian or similar winters, you are truly missing out on the magic of Quattro in the winter.

Huge plus one!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic1
Continental has a new all season, Pure Contact. Look at the great rating Tire Rack gave next to the competition. The best snow rating of any hi perf all season, even better than the DWS I believe.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Attached is a video of a 2005 A6 4,2 climbing a ski jump with winter tires. If anyone would like to try it with All Season tires please do so and post .

Last edited by KevinGary; 01-26-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Continental has a new all season, Pure Contact. Look at the great rating Tire Rack gave next to the competition. The best snow rating of any hi perf all season, even better than the DWS I believe.
PureContact is a a Grand Touring all season tire, not a high performance all season tire.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Attached is a video of a 2005 A6 4,2 climbing a ski jump with winter tires. If anyone would like to try it with All Season tires please do so and post .

Audi Quattro Ski Jump commercial 2005 - YouTube
How do we know they used winter tires and where is the video of them doing it in all season tires?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary

Audi Quattro Ski Jump commercial 2005 - YouTube
Looks like they used studded tires from the pics:

http://www.fourtitude.com/cgi-bin/ar...iew.cgi/6/1102
Old 01-26-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is a video floating around regarding the making of the commercial. They used winter studded tires. I don't know if anyone has been foolish enough to try it with all season tires. Maybe someone on the forum will try it on all seasons.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental Pure Contact W/ EcoPlus Tech

Soo I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who has posted!

After alot of research, Ive decided on a all season Continental Pure Contact W/ EcoPlus Tech. (my next set will be summer/winter dedicated)

Regardless I purchased a set of Continental Pure Contact W/ EcoPlus Technology. They are great great tires. I understand they are Grand Touring tires, and lets just say it improved the quality of my ride from a C- to a B, B+. It is simply amazing. So smooth practically absorbs all road imperfections. I assume this will help out my suspension a lot (less wear on suspension parts if tires are absorbing more impact) before the new tires the ride was starting to get Harsh. Handling is great now. Good enough for daily road driving. Most people do not push their vehicle hard enough for high performance tires. Especially if you have put 155,000 Miles on your A6. Hence another reason I chose Grand Touring Tires, my car has high milage, but still near perfect condition, the older she gets the easier I drive her plane and simple. With that said, she still can get up and go and handle the corners nicely when I choose too. The Tires are great in the snow, of course not as good as a dedicated winter tire, but once again a major improvement and feels much safer. I did not choose the DWS because of the harder sidewalls and harder ride. I think i made a good chose and I highly recommend for the A6's with higher milage.

Thank you again to all for the recommendations
Danny

Quick Reply: Tires Tires Tires