A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

thoughts on a 06 C6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default thoughts on a 06 C6 4.2

As a long time C5 owner, I'm potentially looking at a 06 4.2 and had some general questions re: maintenance.

The model is question has a fair number of miles (over 150K) and from what i'm aware has NEVER had the following major services done to it:

timing belt, water pump, struts, O2 sensors, serpentine belt, oil cooler pipe, etc

I was wondering if that's typical. Since there is NO WAY my C5 would be at that mileage and NOT have those addressed. I assume the 4.2 is pretty well the same, if not similar, to the C5 4.2 and therefore requiring similar maintenance.

Can folks share with me what they think of this and also, any major caveats I should be aware of on the C6 4.2? thnx
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4.2 has no belt it has a chain
chain prob should be replace about now and prob water pump too
struts should be replaced every 50 k... i doubt they r original ones bc i doubt they lasted 150k
o2 sensors should be easy n cheap DIY

if u replace the struts go with KONIs ..they are better then OEM

ALSO ..i love my 05 4.2
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 50K replacement for struts seems too frequent

Sorry mis-typed on the belt vs. chain. But the water pump and all the other parts I'd be surprised last the 150K range. I recently did the struts on my C5 myself, and although they were a bit of a PITA not an entirely too difficult of a job. However, if I go forth with the C6 I really don't want to do a lot of the work myself...at least not initially and would just prefer to be a 'driver' vs. 'mechanic'

I'll find out what it would take to do the chain, water pump, idle pulleys, etc...

The original owner (not a car guy) said that he had never seen a need to do any of the work I stated since they hadn't failed. My comment back was that, had some of those things failed he would not have had an engine left...

Any other thoughts on 'must do maintenance' for a car with this type of mileage?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks and rattles

Make sure you check for the seals...they leak oil or the car just burns excessive amounts of oil. The interior also may rattle and make noises especially from the air vents and console ie dashboard...other than that, a very fun car...
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not settled on that specific vehicle I would look at other examples, maybe on the board or somewhere else. Any vehicle with that many miles and no maintaince history would be a no brainer to pass up. If it has extensive history then it is fine to go with it miles do not matter then. Great condition vehicles & cheap price do not go hand in hand. You are better off paying a premium price for a vehicle with history & higher miles. I recently purchased a C6 4.2 fully loaded, single owner all history from the day purchased. Same dealership Bought, sold to original owner and resold to me all maintaince was also done at same dealership, made a big difference in my decission to buy from that dealer. I would keep looking.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
NJblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
As a long time C5 owner, I'm potentially looking at a 06 4.2 and had some general questions re: maintenance.

The model is question has a fair number of miles (over 150K) and from what i'm aware has NEVER had the following major services done to it:

timing belt, water pump, struts, O2 sensors, serpentine belt, oil cooler pipe, etc

I was wondering if that's typical. Since there is NO WAY my C5 would be at that mileage and NOT have those addressed. I assume the 4.2 is pretty well the same, if not similar, to the C5 4.2 and therefore requiring similar maintenance.

Can folks share with me what they think of this and also, any major caveats I should be aware of on the C6 4.2? thnx
What is a 150k A6 4.2 worth?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njblue82
What is a 150k A6 4.2 worth?
without checking.. i bet nada prob has it for ~$13k clean retail
maybe ~$8k rough trade in

but dealers use Galves and they prob have an avg trade for ~$6k
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was thinking $8-$9K

Since, it does have full records and has been serviced...just not any of the 'major' service items. Furthermore, it seems to be in great shape and has all the options (Premium, Cold weather, Nav, etc...)

It's somewhat depressing to notice the depreciation on A6s...considering my C5 cost WAY more than twice what this C6 will cost. But i'm in a different financial position and honestly realize I can do much more of the work than I ever thought...and am willing to live with that.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have over 155,000 on my 05 4.2 with sport suspension and it has been fantastic.

I've done all the maintenance after 50,000 miles myself. Including valve cover gaskets that were leaking. I plan to run it till it dies. It still drives and looks like a car with 20,000 miles on it. People can not believe it has this kind of miles on it nor can I. My C5 2.7t was a hunk of crap, surprised I even bought another Audi after that thing. This one has been a dream. I'd buy another 4.2 without FSI in a heartbeat. The FSI engines like to carbon the intakes all the time.

For what its worth, I have no plans to change all the timing chains in this engine. That is why they have chains and not belts. My oil samples show incredibly low wear metals! I use Mobil 1 at 10,000 intervals. They want me to go further than 10,000 miles, but I see no reason to mess with a good thing.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so what do you think is fair price?

for a 06 4.2 with 150K miles? It has ALL the service records, however has never had any major maintenance (e.g., timing chain, water pump, idler, etc...). I'll also need to do the transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: thoughts on a 06 C6 4.2