A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Sunroof parts disintigrated

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof parts disintigrated

2005 A6. I only tilt my sunroof on rare occasions (10 times a year) to prevent too much heat build up (black on black). After tilting it late this summer it would not close. I eventually fished some plastic broken parts out of the tracks and got it shut. Today I had the car at a dealer to look at a brake problem and asked what it would cost to fix the sunroof. I told the dealer my story - including the part about pulling out lots of broken plastic pieces. Stealership says it will cost $100 to have the thing looked at, but it sounds like I need a whole new frame/track unit. Cost $1800. I think that was just for the part. I told him not to bother looking at it, since I won't pay that much to have it fixed and I can't figure out why he wants $100 to diagnose a known problem.

Just venting. Anyone is South Jersey repair Audi's?

Last edited by WithanF; 10-19-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WithanF
2005 A6. I only tilt my sunroof on rare occasions (10 times a year) to prevent too much heat build up (black on black). After tilting it late this summer it would not close. I eventually fished some plastic broken parts out of the tracks and got it shut. Today I had the car at a dealer to look at a brake problem and asked what it would cost to fix the sunroof. I told the dealer my story - including the part about pulling out lots of broken plastic pieces. Stealership says it will cost $100 to have the thing looked at, but it sounds like I need a whole new frame/track unit. Cost $1800. I think that was just for the part. I told him not to bother looking at it, since I won't pay that much to have it fixed and I can't figure out why he wants $100 to diagnose a known problem.

Just venting. Anyone is South Jersey repair Audi's?
Take a look at www.genuinevwaudiparts.com

Lee
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Also check out www.audipartsnationwide.com, same prices, but lower shipping costs.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's situations like this that promped me to trade in my A6 last month. My only available local dealer operated in a similar fashion, charging a hundred to "take a look". There's also a lack of qualified indy shops with the necessary diagnosis tools in my area. A failed water pump cost almost 2 grand to replace. The last straw was being quoted $1300 to replace a headlight that was only partially defective (cornering motor). I know not getting an extended warranty was taking a chance, and in my case it backfired. I now know why others in this forum highly recommended the warranty, and I would do the same if someone was buying an A6 that was beyond the factory or CPO warranty. If you can find a good indy shop that specializes in German cars, it's usually the way to go. Good luck!

Last edited by swhite63; 10-20-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swhite63
It's situations like this that promped me to trade in my A6 last month. My only available local dealer operated in a similar fashion, charging a hundred to "take a look". There's also a lack of qualified indy shops with the necessary diagnosis tools in my area. A failed water pump cost almost 2 grand to replace. The last straw was being quoted $1300 to replace a headlight that was only partially defective (cornering motor). I know not getting an extended warranty was taking a chance, and in my case it backfired. I now know why others in this forum highly recommended the warranty, and I would do the same if someone was buying an A6 that was beyond the factory or CPO warranty. If you can find a good indy shop that specializes in German cars, it's usually the way to go. Good luck!
I don't know that it will be much comfort to you, but I have the 100K Audi CPO warranty and, after a time (I forget how long) it does not cover anything like the sunroof or the NAV or any of the other parts of my car that break down. Probably just a coincidence that the warranty only covers stuff that does not break, right?

Thanks to the other guys for the part sources. I'll check them out.