A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Summer Time DIY mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks amazing. Probably one of the best do it yourself mods I've seen. Do you guys remember the guy with the neon audi rings lol. This is hot I wish I could spray better I suck at it though.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got my LEDs installed. I had to shorten them by two elements and much soldering but they're in.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil, are those the same lights as in the link in the earlier post? If so, why did you have to cut yours?
Originally Posted by Philip1
I got my LEDs installed. I had to shorten them by two elements and much soldering but they're in.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

They are the ones in the link. Th difference between the OP car and mine is I have the single bar grilles and his has the twin bar. For some reason 13" was too much.

Last edited by Philip1; 07-12-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are the ones in the link. Th difference between the OP car and mine is I have the single bar grilles and his has the twin bar. (For some reason 13" was too much).
Thats what she said.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great!

Originally Posted by jpop8807
Thats what she said.
I can't believe you beat TurboRusty to that...
Old 07-14-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job...Really like the LEDs and your install.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update from my original pictures with painting engine parts

hey gang,
thanks for the compliments on the DIY LED lights. as you guys saw in my first post on this thread that i was painting engine bay parts. i've added in some pictures. i'm still in the process of painting the air box but not yet... but very soon. i wanted to stay relatively close to original but give the car a fresher updated look. i went with hammered gray. i liked how it turned out. it's not over the top but it has a nice shine to it.

The paint stains you see are me testing to see if the krylon fusion hammered gray would work or not from the engine bay heat. it performed and stayed on fine in this 100+ degree texas heat. i drove around with the paint test for over a week.

i degreased it with orange hand cleaner and water first and then taped up pretty well. i layed down blue tape first on all of the edges then newspaper and then some more blue tape.

here is the finished results. you can see the dots and dimples in the paint. that was exactly what i was going for, "hammered" look.

everything put back together. it looks a little funny because i had just sprayed a little protective fusion clear coat on it. it's suppose to protect the paint from all sorts of stuff but when it dried it looks cleaner than the pictures.

BEFORE

AFTER

I'll add more DIY pix as I go along gang. I hope this inspires you to try new things on our cars and feel free to share.

-Van

Last edited by vlam04; 07-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice work you have inspired me I'll be painting some in my engine bay soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They are the ones in the link. Th difference between the OP car and mine is I have the single bar grilles and his has the twin bar. For some reason 13" was too much.
Looks awesome. I installed mine today, but did not wire it up yet. Where did you tap the LED's into?

My install takes the passenger side, along the headlight washer tube, then to the drivers side, then up into the engine bay. I have it insulated from the bottom up thru the engine. Right now it terminates by the first firewall along the brake lines until I can decide where to tap it, or how to get it thru the firewall. I see posts on the "keyhole" grommet, but very little access to it.

Rich

Quick Reply: Summer Time DIY mods