A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

V1 Hardwire Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Hardwire Question?

Ok so I have decided to by the "famed" Valentine V1 Radar detector. I would like to hard wire it to my a6. But I am wondering 2 things. How? And will it stay on when the car is off like the power outlet? Because that will be a big no.

So I DID SEARCH and I found two links but both are rather unclear. I do know I want my mounted by the rear view mirror and I will not have the concealed display.

Thanks

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ight=Valentine

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...0&highlight=v1
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...5&highlight=v1

This post has a good how to. On my A6 I tapped into the fuse panel on the passenger side. I also placed my V1 just to the right of the rear view mirror using the suction mount. I believe the fuse that I tapped was for the shift lock out. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is tapped into the homelink.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is tapped into driver side fuse box- heated washer or something (20 or 22). from there I run a cable to the windshield and behind the A-pillar into the V1 unit on the visor. There is also another cable for the concealed unit on the dash. I love my setup.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think i will do something like yours. Btw how do you have 745 mi to empty? when i bought my car 5 or 6 years ago the highest i ever seen it was 575 and now since its old the max i get is 415 to 475. Whats your secret!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by triplecore
I think i will do something like yours. Btw how do you have 745 mi to empty? when i bought my car 5 or 6 years ago the highest i ever seen it was 575 and now since its old the max i get is 415 to 475. Whats your secret!
I know... just happened once - I had rolled down a long hill before the fill-up.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Ok so I have decided to by the "famed" Valentine V1 Radar detector.
Triple, congrats on the V1.

Here are some fotos I took of our C6 A6 getting things tapped into the HomeLink power for an overhead installation:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=8

You'll have to identify which is the switched power lead going into the HomeLink module. That will be the wire you tap into for swithced power.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Triple, congrats on the V1.

Here are some fotos I took of our C6 A6 getting things tapped into the HomeLink power for an overhead installation:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=8

You'll have to identify which is the switched power lead going into the HomeLink module. That will be the wire you tap into for swithced power.
awesome this is what i am looking for and I appreciate your detailed pictures. Someone else told me about installing it through the fusebox. Is there any pros and cons?

ps. I don't ask this question to cause people to but heads. I am more wondering which is easier and less likely to cause a problem as I am very bad with cars. I am one of those people when changing a flat would somehow lose two of the lug nuts and then call Audi Assist and somehow leave the my cars jack on the side of the road. haha
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Is there any pros and cons?
I'm always going to do the overhead route when possible. I'm not a big fan of things dangling from the fuse box, and I don't care for the idea of running wires adjacent to panels where an air bag is installed Plus, I believe the overhead installation in these cars is as simple as any I've ever done.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'm always going to do the overhead route when possible. I'm not a big fan of things dangling from the fuse box, and I don't care for the idea of running wires adjacent to panels where an air bag is installed Plus, I believe the overhead installation in these cars is as simple as any I've ever done.
Thanks for the fast response. My friend did the similar in his X5 which is why I ask. So you just used the existing splice that comes with the v1 when you order right? And just to check you don't lose access of home link right? And final question how do you know which wire to splice?

Thanks very much for the help.

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwire Question?