A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 Engine Light - Injector Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
My car had engine light and the following was done under factory and extended warranty:

Carbon Buildup - Cleanup
Coil Pack - Replacement
Throttle Body - Replacement
ECU Wiring Harness - Replacement
I got the random misfire code in my s6 the other day. I suspected it was carbon, but it went away, hasn't returned. A borescope inspection showed little to no carbon.

Last edited by sgroer; 09-29-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drive it like a stole it. When the miles creep up and if I decide to keep this longer and get an investment property instead of a 997S, then I will just have the dealer decarb it again. I honestly do not really think about it all that much anymore since I already have another decarb service tentatively set in my mind.

If you want to know whether or not you have a carb issue, then you need to put your car on the dyno. That is the only sure way to tell and it will leave your mind at peace because you will know what you need to do rather than sit there and 2nd guess of what it may or may not be.

If you're under or are in very low 300 AWHP, then I would think that you need it properly decarbed.
You're right; I have to get this thing on a dyno and settle it in my mind once and for all. It could be that the S6 just isn't as fast as I expected/wanted. That said, there aren't many large sedans that I'd rather drive.

In the meantime, I'll stick to the "drive it like I stole it" method of engine maintenance!!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer did it under factory warranty and I was told that extended warranty (Fidelity in my case) would not cover this service.

Originally Posted by sgroer
I got the random misfire code in my s6 the other day. I suspect it is carbon. Did the fidelity platinum warranty cover the decarb? I have the same warranty and would like to know if they covered it in other cases. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dyno results

Just dyno it and see where it is at. Decarb if you must after that... as much as I hate this issue, it is really not that big of a deal if you are willing to spend a little bit of time and money identifying and curing the issue.
I ran out for a long lunch and got the car on the dyno today. I don't have the graph right now, but whp numbers were 319, 322 and 324. I had to run back to work, so I couldn't wait for the printout/other details, which the shop said he would email to me. I think these seem at the average/low-average range for a bone-stock S6, no? Maybe I've just gotten too used to the car's power
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mariof
I ran out for a long lunch and got the car on the dyno today. I don't have the graph right now, but whp numbers were 319, 322 and 324. I had to run back to work, so I couldn't wait for the printout/other details, which the shop said he would email to me. I think these seem at the average/low-average range for a bone-stock S6, no? Maybe I've just gotten too used to the car's power
I'm in the UK, do you mean just ask a garage to run it on a Dyno to check for what?
Did you have carbon build up?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default fuel consumption

what do you guys get on the fuel when you fill up? how many miles show on the computer?
from full tank?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That doesn't sound bad. What type of dyno were you on? Are the numbers adjusted? What gear were these numbers taken in? What gas are you using? Do you have any mods?

Please post a graph when you can, I would love to see it as I am sure others will as well.

Originally Posted by mariof
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default jumpy throttle and poor consumption

Can anyone explain what the Carbon Build Up causes?
is it easy to fix? and how?
My engine light still on, quite jumpy throttle response and poor fuel consumption

P.S. I'm in the UK and am not picking up some of your USA Techy terms ! - Sorry !
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car went in yesterday because my CEL has been on for a few months and it flashes when I run it hard. In November 2010, I had the lower intake motor replaced and the coil packs replaced as part of a TSB. The CEL came on about two weeks after that but I did not do anything becaiuse I was too busy to take may car in. This afternoon I spoke with the senior Audi mechanic at Rockville Porsche Audi and he told the following:

Because the S6 has direct injection - i.e. fuel srayed directly into the cylinders - carbon build-up on the valves is highly unlikely. What can occur, however, is the valves themselves get gunky from the petroleum products.

My car suffered from the "rough start issue" and I did not know it. I thought that it was commonplace for the car to start rough for the first twenty seconds at idle and then smooth out when the initial "choke" sequence is over. The tech told me this was absoltely NOT normal and that four of the cylinders were mis-firing.

He downloaded all of my data from the car and has a phone call with an Audi of America technician this afternoon to discuss strategies for coping with my problems. It appears from what I have read in this thread that they should probably replace my intake manifold and do a software update. Any other issues/solutions that I should bring to their attention?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, i still haven't got mine sorted out yet.
To be honest never had time to take it to the garage yet.
I still have the light on dash.
I'll let you know when i have been to garage and see what they say....

Cheers

Quick Reply: S6 Engine Light - Injector Problem