A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 Engine Light - Injector Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 Engine Light - Injector Problem

Anyone has similar or known problems?
S6 "2006"
Engine Dash Light just come one recently, dealer re-set computer but not solved, they now said some kind of fuel injection problem, (something to do with the way the fuel is being distributed) £400 Labour, £2100 Parts ! Insane.....

Any ideas?
THANKS
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car had engine light and the following was done under factory and extended warranty:

Carbon Buildup - Cleanup
Coil Pack - Replacement
Throttle Body - Replacement
ECU Wiring Harness - Replacement
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
My car had engine light and the following was done under factory and extended warranty:

Carbon Buildup - Cleanup
Coil Pack - Replacement
Throttle Body - Replacement
ECU Wiring Harness - Replacement

But how old is yours? Mines 2006!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is 2007, one year younger than your car, not sure how that makes any difference as most issues related to this model transcend through most earlier build years.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The check engine light came on a few weeks back on my 2007 S6 and the dealer replaced lower intake flap motor. It was good for about a week or two and the light came back on.

This time, they replaced the intake manifold itself. While apart, the dealer cleaned up the carbon deposits, but they told me that there really wasn't much carbon build-up to clean. I believe them, because I told them that--if Audi wouldn't cover a decarb under the CPO warranty--I would pay the additional labor to do it while they had intake off. They cleaned it up for no extra charge (and Audi didn't pay for decarb either). So far, so good. No light. No real performance difference either. I must admit, I was hoping there would be a big power boost, but no luck...
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My intake manifold failed and was replaced as well. How many miles do you have on your car? I believe that the intake manifold failure is due to carbon buildup. When my manifold was replaced I noticed no difference in power, yet I do not know if the engine was decarboned. However, about 6-9 months later my car went in for a decarb cleaning, and the performance was very noticeable. Perhaps your dealer didn't take time to do a complete clean? Or you may have had very little there to begin with. When my dealer told me there wasn't much carbon in my engine and I gained around 50 AWHP, this is when I realized that what dealer tells me is BS half the time just to appease me or not raise my alert level.

Originally Posted by mariof
The check engine light came on a few weeks back on my 2007 S6 and the dealer replaced lower intake flap motor. It was good for about a week or two and the light came back on.

This time, they replaced the intake manifold itself. While apart, the dealer cleaned up the carbon deposits, but they told me that there really wasn't much carbon build-up to clean. I believe them, because I told them that--if Audi wouldn't cover a decarb under the CPO warranty--I would pay the additional labor to do it while they had intake off. They cleaned it up for no extra charge (and Audi didn't pay for decarb either). So far, so good. No light. No real performance difference either. I must admit, I was hoping there would be a big power boost, but no luck...
Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you guys are making me anxious. i just had the intake flap motor and an 02 sensor replaced. I've got an '07 (build date, late 06) with just north of 19k on it
Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
My intake manifold failed and was replaced as well. How many miles do you have on your car? I believe that the intake manifold failure is due to carbon buildup. When my manifold was replaced I noticed no difference in power, yet I do not know if the engine was decarboned. However, about 6-9 months later my car went in for a decarb cleaning, and the performance was very noticeable. Perhaps your dealer didn't take time to do a complete clean? Or you may have had very little there to begin with. When my dealer told me there wasn't much carbon in my engine and I gained around 50 AWHP, this is when I realized that what dealer tells me is BS half the time just to appease me or not raise my alert level.
The intake was done at around 45k miles (lower flap motor and low fuel pressure sensor done at 44k). I haven't put on a ton on miles since then, so I don't know if this was a successful outcome.

I agree that the flap motor and manifold problems are carbon-related. That's why I practically begged the service rep to do a decarb when he told me that they had to replace the manifold. Like I mentioned before, I offered to pay for full manual decarb. Service rep said that he had owned an RS-4 with carbon issues and so he completely understood my concern.

I really hope the dealer didn't lie about the carbon. I just started using this dealer and I *want* to believe they're on the up and up. I guess time will tell.

Are you doing anything to try to maintain the clean intake? My dealer's waiting area had pamphlets for the BG product that gets sucked through a vacuum line to clean out carbon. I was thinking of using that as a regular maintenance item at each service.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just drive it like a stole it. When the miles creep up and if I decide to keep this longer and get an investment property instead of a 997S, then I will just have the dealer decarb it again. I honestly do not really think about it all that much anymore since I already have another decarb service tentatively set in my mind.

If you want to know whether or not you have a carb issue, then you need to put your car on the dyno. That is the only sure way to tell and it will leave your mind at peace because you will know what you need to do rather than sit there and 2nd guess of what it may or may not be.

If you're under or are in very low 300 AWHP, then I would think that you need it properly decarbed.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just dyno it and see where it is at. Decarb if you must after that... as much as I hate this issue, it is really not that big of a deal if you are willing to spend a little bit of time and money identifying and curing the issue.

Originally Posted by Jmlinmn
you guys are making me anxious. i just had the intake flap motor and an 02 sensor replaced. I've got an '07 (build date, late 06) with just north of 19k on it

Quick Reply: S6 Engine Light - Injector Problem