A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

RPM hesitation at constant throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM hesitation at constant throttle

My car has been acting up a little. It idles fine, but when driving at a steady throttle/speed position the engine has a very slight (but easily noticeable) RPM hesitation (less than 100 RPM). It feels like it's losing power for a split second, and then it resumes its previous power/RPM level. This alternates back and forth every few seconds from the original power/RPM position to the RPM loss position and then back again. If I accelerate I don't notice it at all. If I'm stopped I don't notice it either. Any thoughts? I don't have a VAG-COM. (Stupid. I know.)
I had a pinched vac line after a very minor (low speed) fender bender last summer. (Let's just say, don't pull out onto a road just because someone is stopping and motioning to you to pull out.) When I first got the car back I thought the powered seemed to be lacking. The dealership pinpointed the problem, replaced the line, and then it was as good as new. I wonder if it's related to that at all. Probaby not.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

If it bounces up and down about 100-200 rpm in the range of 1400-1900rpm at a rate of once every 1-2 seconds then it may be the same problem I had in my 2006. It turned out to be a failing torque converter. Rather than have it fixed I traded for a newer model.

See this thread for a complete description and history of the problem.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...verter+surging
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I'll check out your thread. Mine isn't jumping quite that much, but it has gotten worse in the last couple of days. Probably getting close to 100 rpm. Mine is not limited to the low RPM range though.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just read the entire thread. Crap.
And what was with the weird tangent and barb trading? Ha
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Claims of lifetime tranny fluid is BS and is killing these cars.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I experienced the same issue and made a ton of visits at the dealers. They suggested replacing the torque converter. To me, that **** of **** has been an ancient technology, if Audi really screw it up, I should be better off buying something else. Anyways, I was hesitating on spending couple grands replacing it. Couple months later, during another diagnosis, they said my problem got worse and there are metal shavings in the trans fluid. There is nothing else better than replacing the whole entire trans.

Anyways, those was a full of BSing. Here is how i fix it:
1. go to ECStuning and purchase the trans service kit (gasket & filter).
2. go to Audi dealer and buy your trans oil (VW dealers also carry the same oil and it's a couple bucks cheaper). DO NOT buy generic oil, it may be a saving but trust me, they are NOT the same. Also, after 2008, Audi started using a new synthetic trans oil. DO NOT buy that one. It's 2x as expensive and you will have to tow your car to dealer so they can reprogram the trans.
3. Get yourseld a VAGcom and carry out the throttle adaptation.

That should take care of the problem.
Best of luck,
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

BlueSander - is your car fixed? I remember when we compared problems yours was different and I never would have thought that just a fluid/filter change could have fixed it. If so, that is great news.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
BlueSander - is your car fixed? I remember when we compared problems yours was different and I never would have thought that just a fluid/filter change could have fixed it. If so, that is great news.
yea, my car is fixed. I changed the fluid but still had gear shift problem (especially 2-3 and 3-2). I tried so many things but nothing works, until I randomly did the throttle adaptation one day the problem went away completely.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input, all.
I should know more in about 30 hours.
This episode has caused me to think about whether I want to keep the car once I'm done or sell it. (I'm probably getting ahead of myself though.) As much as I love my Audi (and VW before it), would I be willing to go back to it if the TC is the problem? Or how could I avoid a problematic model? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Buckeyedoc006; 05-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

No word yet. Delayed due to my mechanic's son's health problems. I should find out on Friday.
Schwarz, didn't you say you went to an '08 after this issue? Wouldn't they still be prone to the same problem?

Quick Reply: RPM hesitation at constant throttle