A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replacing the Entire Right Rear Assembly, Snapped my Knuckle in Half

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Entire Right Rear Assembly, Snapped my Knuckle in Half

Well guys, I havnt been on here in awhile. I plan on spending more tim here as it's a great forum.

I thought I'd let you guys in on what I've been working on.
I started this tonight, And I'm done for now. I've got 2 Hours
of sleep before I work a Straight 24Hr Shift.

So, In the snow I hit a curb doing less than 5-10mph.
Somehow I bent some things, Couldn't figure it out untill
I jacked the car up.
Well, I ordered some parts and heres some pictures from tonight.

THE PROBLEM!!!! Anyone see it? Lol

Wondering.. What Did I get myself into.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Ouch!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default hello

Hi,

Same here. I hit the curb going around 5mph, rear driver's side.
I had to replace bearing and hub part only. And, did a four wheel alignment at the dealer.
because I hear some of grinding noise coming from back (very weak, but it was noticeable) when I drive over 25mph. I drove for a week, and went to the dealer that the technician told me maybe it is because of bent bearing or hub. Right now, the noise is gone and seems perfectly fine..

BUT, you have a cracked part (I don't know what to call that part) on the picture!!
I am concerned if my car also has that cracked part.. the technician didn't mention about any other damages except the bearing and hub.

Did you have the grinding noise from the back when you were driving after hitting the curb?
Were you able to drive back home with that cracked part or did you have to tow?
And, How much are all the parts you bought for replacement and where did you get those? It looks like you have an AC axle and entire brake parts as well..

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhalee0214
Hi,

Same here. I hit the curb going around 5mph, rear driver's side.
I had to replace bearing and hub part only. And, did a four wheel alignment at the dealer.
because I hear some of grinding noise coming from back (very weak, but it was noticeable) when I drive over 25mph. I drove for a week, and went to the dealer that the technician told me maybe it is because of bent bearing or hub. Right now, the noise is gone and seems perfectly fine..

BUT, you have a cracked part (I don't know what to call that part) on the picture!!
I am concerned if my car also has that cracked part.. the technician didn't mention about any other damages except the bearing and hub.

Did you have the grinding noise from the back when you were driving after hitting the curb?
Were you able to drive back home with that cracked part or did you have to tow?
And, How much are all the parts you bought for replacement and where did you get those? It looks like you have an AC axle and entire brake parts as well..

Thanks!
i think if u had that same part cracked, u rear assembly would have been on the floor...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How did you crack that,

It must have been done aftr you jacked it.

You did that at 5-10 mph????? Did you have to use a hammer to remove some parts and take it off.

I know if you hit it with a hammer to loosen soem rusty bolts will do it, but on itès own, never heard of it.

I still feel sorry man. It would be a nasty surprise.

Lemme know how things turn out.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I extend my jealousy to your garage. I have to fix my car on the street.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=beep-beep;24089950]I extend my jealousy to your garage.

2nd
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys,
1st, I'm blessed because it's not my shop. I rent out a guys Pool house. Better than an apartment because no one behind the walls!
Well, it's his shop and he's letting me use it. Normally I'd be in a gravel driveway.

I hit the curb, and saw the wheel was bent and it was pulling the rear end to the right when I would drive it.
this was on my way to work. So after work I went home and jacked it up just to see what I could find. I drove it like this for 20 miles. I even left work, went to lunch and came back.
But at the time I didnt know it was cracked, I just thought I bent a control arm.
It didnt make a noise, rub or anything else. It was just bent and pulled the car real bad to one side.

I found the knuckle, as you see. I sawe it cracked at the top,
and cracked at the bottom. So I assumed it was cracked the entire way from top to bottom, and once I removed it I confirmed that.

I can't believe it either that 5-10mph would do this.

I was making a turn, hit the ice and the rear end slid out,
hit the curb an at angle.

I didn't really have to us a hammer to get the assembly out,
but it sure was a pain to get everything out.

I got the parts from a Junkyard in Florida,

The entire Assembly,
knuckle
Upper Control arm
Lower Control Arm
Track Bar
Strut

for $400 Plus shipping.
Im selling the strut and brake parts from the one I bought.

Only issue is I have a 3.2 and this came from a 4.2
So the rotor is a different size, I now have to swap the parts to the new knuckle like my old rotor etc... No biggie.
Just more time.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I like your can-do, "this won't hold me down" attitude - great!! Question: The r/r wheel looks good on the floor. Is this the one that was on the car when you hit the curb? I am wondering if the severe damage has to do with the low profile tire and bascially flat, non-recessed wheel resulted in just about all the impact energy being transmitted directly to the car, rather than it being absobred by the rubber tire, as might be the case with a higher profile tire. Just asking
Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is the wheel; However that is not the reason.
The curb I hit is concrete like any other, Only it's 6" tall and square. So the wheel itself took a large amount of the impact
which like you said was transfered to the knuckle.
Another reason it snapped is it was in heavy snow so the cast
was just that much colder. The Ice/Snow wouldn't have much of an effect however along with the impact and the angle etc...
it was just another factor that I'm sure helped.

And Thank you, Despite being 22 I've always been mechanically
inclined and I didn't want to file a Insurance claim and have to pay more so I decided to tackle it myself.

Update:
Got it all apart, Swapped the parts and Found that If I wanted to swap the upper control arms I would have to drop the Gas tank to gain access to the Upper Control Arm bolt on the Sub-Frame....
Not doing that so I'll just re-use the one I had on there.

I'm taking the lady out for the night and I'll come back and
continue working on it. I'd like to get it together tonight
but we'll see how it goes.

Any and All Comments or criticism or questions Please ask!
Were all here to help each other out!

Also loving this forum because on Another Audi forum reply's and responses are very low in numbers.... lol

Last edited by JPJ2007; 01-14-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Entire Right Rear Assembly, Snapped my Knuckle in Half