A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

RPM flactuates on cold start ups, hissing sound (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM flactuates on cold start ups, hissing sound (with video)

Hi guys,
I have a 2006 Audi A6 2.4 v6. Every morning when I start my car the rpm fluctuates. It usually happens for about 5 mins and after the engine is hot, it goes away. When the rpm drops, the speedometer lights will also get dimmer. I opened the bonnet and I noticed that there is a hissing sound (i am not sure how to describe it, but pls refer this youtube video). The RPM drops when the sound can be heard. I initially thought it was a vacuum leak, but my mechanic checked and he said there is no leak. There is also no error codes. My mechanic is stumped, and so am I! I was thinking it could be the MAF, but if it were, there should be an error message rite?? Thanks in advanced

YOUTUBE VIDEO
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW mine is not a FSI engine. its the older MPI v6 engine
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bandito
Hi guys,
I have a 2006 Audi A6 2.4 v6. Every morning when I start my car the rpm fluctuates. It usually happens for about 5 mins and after the engine is hot, it goes away. When the rpm drops, the speedometer lights will also get dimmer. I opened the bonnet and I noticed that there is a hissing sound (i am not sure how to describe it, but pls refer this youtube video). The RPM drops when the sound can be heard. I initially thought it was a vacuum leak, but my mechanic checked and he said there is no leak. There is also no error codes. My mechanic is stumped, and so am I! I was thinking it could be the MAF, but if it were, there should be an error message rite?? Thanks in advanced

YOUTUBE VIDEO

could not just guess what is going on in there, have it scanned with VCDS
Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Are you sure that the mechanic really checked all of the vacuum lines? I have a 2005 4.2 and it is my understanding that you need to remove the manifold to get to some of the vacuum lines. I had the hissing noise you described a few months ago and after removing the manifold determined that it was one of the vacuum lines. After replacing the vacuum lines the hiss noise went away.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

he already did. there were no errors
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i actually changed the intake manifold 2 months back. i will ask him to check tomorrow. Tq According to my mechanic, he suspects that it has something to do with a sensor.

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Are you sure that the mechanic really checked all of the vacuum lines? I have a 2005 4.2 and it is my understanding that you need to remove the manifold to get to some of the vacuum lines. I had the hissing noise you described a few months ago and after removing the manifold determined that it was one of the vacuum lines. After replacing the vacuum lines the hiss noise went away.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

i actually changed the intake manifold 2 months back. i will ask him to check tomorrow. Tq According to my mechanic, he suspects that it has something to do with a sensor.
There seems to be too much background noise to make out much...sorry

But agree with Kevin that vacuum leaks are pretty common and a relatively easy fix. Do a smoke test if unsure and you will find the culprit. Also, that engine seems to be 'ticking' quite a bit...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

no the engine is no ticking. the video makes it sounds worse than it really is. also it was a cold start, once it warmed up, the sound is reduced.

back to the hissing sound, my mechanic has checked all of the hoses, and there is no leak. its a real pain to diagnose as it only happens during cold start.

Originally Posted by raj99
There seems to be too much background noise to make out much...sorry

But agree with Kevin that vacuum leaks are pretty common and a relatively easy fix. Do a smoke test if unsure and you will find the culprit. Also, that engine seems to be 'ticking' quite a bit...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

btw what is a smoking test?

no the engine is no ticking. the video makes it sounds worse than it really is. also it was a cold start, once it warmed up, the sound is reduced.

back to the hissing sound, my mechanic has checked all of the hoses, and there is no leak. its a real pain to diagnose as it only happens during cold start.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

btw what is a smoking test?

Quick Reply: RPM flactuates on cold start ups, hissing sound (with video)